Noisy Giant TCR Composite... Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Frank, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise while
    riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?

    Details: • The bike only has 500 km on it. • The noise has only just started to appear during the
    last few rides. • Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM’s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
    pressure on the pedals) • Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting • Noise sounds like
    flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays

    I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
    and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
    > while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
    >
    > Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
    > last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
    > pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
    > like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
    >
    > I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
    > and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Yeah - you shouldn't have bought a Giant. A local team is sponsored by them and you always know
    where they are in the group because of their squeeking and cracking frames.

    -a

  3. Glen

    Glen Guest

    I have a TCR-1 composite with a similar noise that goes away if I stand up (get off seat).
    Otherwise, this is one of the least noisy bikes I have ever ridden.

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
    > while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
    >
    > Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
    > last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
    > pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
    > like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
    >
    > I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
    > and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

  4. Fastrack

    Fastrack Guest

    On 8 Jun 2003 02:55:57 -0700, [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote:

    >"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing noise
    >> while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?
    >>
    >> Details: ? The bike only has 500 km on it. ? The noise has only just started to appear during the
    >> last few rides. ? Noise occurs when pedaling at high RPM?s (100+ even when not placing a lot of
    >> pressure on the pedals) ? Noise is VERY pronounced during climbing and sprinting ? Noise sounds
    >> like flexing or bending tubes coming from the main triangle or rear stays
    >>
    >> I am surprised to hear all this noise especially from a carbon fiber bike. I have never owned one
    >> and am somewhat disappointed and concerned that something may be wrong.
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance.
    >
    >Yeah - you shouldn't have bought a Giant. A local team is sponsored by them and you always know
    >where they are in the group because of their squeeking and cracking frames.
    >
    >-a

    They better get a better mechaic. I sold 45 of these. No squeeking and cracking in Santa
    Barbara.....

    Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
    775-248-7632 Fax 805-680-7094 Cell

    www.fastrackbicycles.com

  5. Frank-<< I purchased a Giant TCR Composite recently and now I notice a rather loud and disturbing
    noise while riding. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences they could share?

    Take it back to where you bought it...

  6. R Jing

    R Jing Guest

    Glen, No worry, you've got yourself an excellent bike. Try checking these two :
    1. The fork carbon spacers. Are they sitting properly?
    2. Water cage bolts.
    P/S : You can pinpoint the noice source by having the bike stationary and thumping the seat with
    your palm.

    Good luck.