Noisy hub brakes?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neil, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Hello all,

    My front hub (Shimano Nexus) has started to howl loudly when coming to a stop (not when slightly on
    for instance when on a steep hill) - tried cleaning it out, greasing it, degreasing it, it's still
    howling. Any ideas?

    Many thanks in advance

    Neil

    Tags:

  2. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Neil wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My front hub (Shimano Nexus) has started to howl loudly when coming to a stop (not when slightly
    > on for instance when on a steep hill) - tried cleaning it out, greasing it, degreasing it, it's
    > still howling. Any ideas?

    This probably contravenes all the manufacturer's dire warnings, but when my rear Nexus hub
    started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works, and it doesn't
    squeal any more.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  3. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Pattledom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This probably contravenes all the manufacturer's dire warnings, but when
    my
    > rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works,
    > and it doesn't squeal any more.

    I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.

    Tim

    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
    chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!

  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    > > rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works,
    > > and it doesn't squeal any more.
    >
    > I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.
    >
    > Tim

    Many thanks both, having tried stodgy grease, I shall have a look in the shed for light
    grease or oil.

    Cheers again,

    Neil

  5. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Neil <[email protected]> writes

    >> > rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still
    >> > works, and it doesn't squeal any more.
    >>
    >> I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.
    >>
    >> Tim
    >
    >Many thanks both, having tried stodgy grease, I shall have a look in the shed for light
    >grease or oil.

    Shimano do make a specific grease for their roller brakes.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds