Noisy hub brakes?

Neil

Guest
Hello all,

My front hub (Shimano Nexus) has started to howl loudly when coming to a stop (not when slightly on
for instance when on a steep hill) - tried cleaning it out, greasing it, degreasing it, it's still
howling. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Neil

Neil wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My front hub (Shimano Nexus) has started to howl loudly when coming to a stop (not when slightly
> on for instance when on a steep hill) - tried cleaning it out, greasing it, degreasing it, it's
> still howling. Any ideas?

This probably contravenes all the manufacturer's dire warnings, but when my rear Nexus hub
started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works, and it doesn't
squeal any more.

--
Andrew Pattle

"Pattledom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This probably contravenes all the manufacturer's dire warnings, but when
my
> rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works,
> and it doesn't squeal any more.

I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!

> > rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still works,
> > and it doesn't squeal any more.
>
> I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.
>
> Tim

Many thanks both, having tried stodgy grease, I shall have a look in the shed for light
grease or oil.

Cheers again,

Neil

In message <[email protected]>, Neil <[email protected]> writes

>> > rear Nexus hub started squealing, I just squirted some oil into the grease hole. It still
>> > works, and it doesn't squeal any more.
>>
>> I concur. I find the grade of grease matters; lighter grease=less howl.
>>
>> Tim
>
>Many thanks both, having tried stodgy grease, I shall have a look in the shed for light
>grease or oil.

Shimano do make a specific grease for their roller brakes.
--
Chris French, Leeds