Noisy koolstoppers with salmon pads

I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
a lot of racket when stressed.
Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
disk brakes if
only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
least 3/4 life remaining in them.

Suggestions?

[email protected] wrote:
> I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
> a lot of racket when stressed.
> Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
> disk brakes if
> only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
> least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
> Suggestions?

YES, I say if "scaring the heck out of other riders" is the paramount
concern, then definitely get yourself a set of disc brakes! Btw, you'll
also need a new frame, or at least, have yours modified to fit the disc
brakes (assuming your frame and fork doesn't already have disc brake
mounts).

Otherwise, how about trying to adjust the toe-in on your pads? For more
info check out Sheldon Brown's site.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
> a lot of racket when stressed.
> Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
> disk brakes if
> only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
> least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
> Suggestions?

Sometimes my salmon pads squeal, sometimes not. I just
live with it. Brakes only slow me down, so I try to stay
off of them. :)

--
Michael Press

On 24 Jun 2006 23:47:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
>a lot of racket when stressed.
>Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
>disk brakes if
>only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
>least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
>Suggestions?

Keep'em to scare the cagers or dog-walkers.

Pat

Email address works as is.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
> a lot of racket when stressed.
> Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
> disk brakes if
> only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
> least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
> Suggestions?

Mine did that, no matter what I did with the toe adjustment. It was
*really, really* bad when I combined them with brand-new Velocity
"Aero" rims, which came with unmachined sidewalls. Apparently the rough
surface combined with the extra bite of the salmon pads set up a
resonance in the frame.

I switched to Kool-Stop black pads and the squeal went away. Braking
performance improved since I was more inclined to use them to moderate
my speed instead of applying them with maximum force- this lessend the
duration of the noise. Now that the rims have been polished smooth, I'm
tempted to reinstall the salmon pads to see if the noise has gone away.

FWIW: they do make effective noisemakers. I came upon a jogger one
morning who couldn't decide which side of the road to run on. After
zig-zagging a couple times, he was in the middle of the road when I
decided that I couldn't trust his judgement. My brake squeal caused him
to jump a couple feet in the air.

Jeff

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:47:18 -0700, sndive wrote:

> I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
> a lot of racket when stressed.
> Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
> disk brakes if
> only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
> least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
> Suggestions?

Any change in braking habits can make any pad squeal. If you're usually
braking lightly but then brake heavily, your pads are likely to squeal,
and vice versa. Same with going from dry to wet, etc. So if you change
pads you're likely to have the same problem whenever your braking habits
change.

FWIW, my salmon pads squeak a little under light braking but don't squeal.
The KS black ones on my MTB squeal like a banshee under hard braking,
because they're used lightly most of the time.

Matt O.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have koolstoppers with salmon colored pads in front and they put out
> a lot of racket when stressed.
> Aside from being noisy they perform just fine. I wonder if I should get
> disk brakes if
> only to avoid scaring the heck out of other riders. The pads have at
> least 3/4 life remaining in them.
>
> Suggestions?

No brake I have ever ridden howled more than the hub-disc brakes I once had
on a road bike -- when stopping in the rain, it sounded like a braking
freight train -- very loud. Therefore...

mC