Noisy Open Pro Rim

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joel Solomon, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Joel Solomon

    Joel Solomon Guest

    My back wheel is a Daytona hub, Open Pro rim and double butted spokes. It has about 5400 miles on
    it. It makes an annoying clicking noise that seems to be the result of the spoke and nipple moving
    against the rim as weight is put on the vertical spokes. The wheel seems sound, but the noise is
    driving me crazy. Is there anything that can be done for this nefarious malady?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Joel Solomon

    Tags:

  2. J Morelstein

    J Morelstein Guest

    Joel--I know this topic has been discussed on the group in the past, but I can't remember if anyone
    came up with a solution other than changing the rim. You might try a google search to pick up the
    prior dicussion."Joel Solomon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My back wheel is a Daytona hub, Open Pro rim and double butted spokes. It
    has
    > about 5400 miles on it. It makes an annoying clicking noise that seems to
    be
    > the result of the spoke and nipple moving against the rim as weight is put
    on
    > the vertical spokes. The wheel seems sound, but the noise is driving me
    crazy.
    > Is there anything that can be done for this nefarious malady?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    >
    > Joel Solomon

  3. Tim McTeague

    Tim McTeague Guest

    Google it and find more posts than you want to read. The best solution is to remove the tire and rim
    strip, look for the seam and then find two indentations on either side of the seam. Inside the rim
    there is a plate used to align the rim during welding. It also is supposed to act as a heat sink. It
    can come loose over time. Get a nail punch and hammer, then "tap" the indentations a few times to
    deepen them. This will "wedge" the pin and hopefully stop the noise. Others suggest drilling a hole
    and injecting glue or other stuff but that seems like more work than is needed. Good luck.

    Tim McTeague

    "j morelstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Joel--I know this topic has been discussed on the group in the past, but I can't remember if
    > anyone came up with a solution other than changing the rim. You might try a google search to pick
    > up the prior dicussion."Joel Solomon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My back wheel is a Daytona hub, Open Pro rim and double butted spokes.
    It
    > has
    > > about 5400 miles on it. It makes an annoying clicking noise that seems
    > be
    > > the result of the spoke and nipple moving against the rim as weight is
    put
    > on
    > > the vertical spokes. The wheel seems sound, but the noise is driving me
    > crazy.
    > > Is there anything that can be done for this nefarious malady?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your advice.
    > >
    > > Joel Solomon

  4. Woogoogle

    Woogoogle Guest

    "j morelstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Joel--I know this topic has been discussed on the group in the past, but I can't remember if
    > anyone came up with a solution other than changing the rim. You might try a google search to pick
    > up the prior dicussion."Joel Solomon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My back wheel is a Daytona hub, Open Pro rim and double butted spokes. It
    > has
    > > about 5400 miles on it. It makes an annoying clicking noise that seems to
    > be
    > > the result of the spoke and nipple moving against the rim as weight is put
    > on
    > > the vertical spokes. The wheel seems sound, but the noise is driving me
    > crazy.
    > > Is there anything that can be done for this nefarious malady?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your advice.
    > >
    > > Joel Solomon

    If it's any consolation I have the same problem with a Open Pro rim with an Ultegra front hub. It
    only clicks when I put a significant amount of weight on the front end, or if I take the wheel out
    and sit on the wheel. I checked the tension and the spokes all have equally high tension, similar to
    other wheels. I thought it was spokes rubbing against each other but who knows.

  5. I had a similar problem with my Ultegra/OPs. I tried overhauling the bearings, noise still there. I
    oiled the spole crossings and nipples, noise still there. I did the "hit the seam with a punch" gig,
    noise still there. I drilled two small holes at the seam and filled tem with superglue, noise still
    there. THEN, I noticed that the tire bead was just a tad moist, from a rainy ride a few weeks prior.
    I dried off the tire bead, and put talc on the tire bead...viola, noise gone! (Wish I had tried this
    before resorting to power tools!).

    TG

  6. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > I had a similar problem with my Ultegra/OPs. I tried overhauling the bearings, noise still there.
    > I oiled the spole crossings and nipples, noise still there. I did the "hit the seam with a punch"
    > gig, noise still there. I drilled two small holes at the seam and filled tem with superglue, noise
    > still there. THEN, I noticed that the tire bead was just a tad moist, from a rainy ride a few
    > weeks prior. I dried off the tire bead, and put talc on the tire bead...viola, noise gone! (Wish I
    > had tried this before resorting to power tools!).

    Hey, I'll try it. I tensioned a set of machine-built Ultegra/OP4s for a friend last year. They never
    made a sound before tensioning. But now, they creak with every revolution when loaded. It's annoying
    as hell-- he's a lot younger than me, and I have to work damned hard to stay ahead of him and that
    infernal noise. The other alternative--staying far enough back that I can't hear it, is also too
    much work. ;-)

    Thanks for the tip.

    Rick

  7. I too have had the "clicking" problem with my Rolf Vector Comps. Turned out to be condensation where
    the spokes pass through the hubs. Clicked like mad when I got out of the saddle over the front
    wheel. Hit the spoke with a little Tri Flow at the hubs and have not heard the noise since! Go
    figure!? Michael

    tony the tiger wrote:

    > I had a similar problem with my Ultegra/OPs. I tried overhauling the bearings, noise still there.
    > I oiled the spole crossings and nipples, noise still there. I did the "hit the seam with a punch"
    > gig, noise still there. I drilled two small holes at the seam and filled tem with superglue, noise
    > still there. THEN, I noticed that the tire bead was just a tad moist, from a rainy ride a few
    > weeks prior. I dried off the tire bead, and put talc on the tire bead...viola, noise gone! (Wish I
    > had tried this before resorting to power tools!).
    >
    > TG

  8. My Open Pro rear has that click and the welding pin fix did no good. On mine, it's the nipples
    moving against the rim. WD40 solves it perfectly but for only a 100 miles or so. I had the spokes
    tensioned and it didn't help.

    "Michael Overton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I too have had the "clicking" problem with my Rolf Vector Comps. Turned out to be condensation
    > where the spokes pass through the hubs. Clicked like mad when I got out of the saddle over the
    > front wheel. Hit the spoke with a little Tri Flow at the hubs and have not heard the noise since!
    > Go figure!? Michael
    >
    > tony the tiger wrote:
    >
    > > I had a similar problem with my Ultegra/OPs. I tried overhauling the bearings, noise still
    > > there. I oiled the spole crossings and nipples, noise still there. I did the "hit the seam with
    > > a punch" gig, noise still there. I drilled two small holes at the seam and filled tem with
    > > superglue, noise still there. THEN, I noticed that the tire bead was just a tad moist, from a
    > > rainy ride a few weeks prior. I dried off the tire bead, and put talc on the tire bead...viola,
    > > noise gone! (Wish I had tried this before resorting to power tools!).
    > >
    > > TG

  9. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Joel Solomon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My back wheel is a Daytona hub, Open Pro rim and double butted spokes. It
    has
    > about 5400 miles on it. It makes an annoying clicking noise that seems to
    be
    > the result of the spoke and nipple moving against the rim as weight is put
    on
    > the vertical spokes. The wheel seems sound, but the noise is driving me
    crazy.
    > Is there anything that can be done for this nefarious malady?

    Older OP's had the welding plate that would "click" like another poster said. If you have a newer
    rim they have resolved that issue.

    The most likely suspect is the spoke nipples - that's another "personality quirk" of the OP's.
    Luckily there is an easy solution. Just put a VERY TINY drop of Tri-flow in each spoke nipple and
    the noise should disappear for several hundred miles.

    good luck, Mish

  10. "Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Older OP's had the welding plate that would "click" like another poster said. If you have a newer
    > rim they have resolved that issue.

    How can I tell "older" OP from "newer"?

    regards,

    Predrag

  11. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Predrag Jovanovic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Older OP's had the welding plate that would "click" like another poster said. If you have a
    > > newer rim they have resolved that issue.
    >
    > How can I tell "older" OP from "newer"?

    Anything bought in the last three or four years should not have the welding pin problem. Try the
    Tri-Flow in the spoke nipples and see if that doesn't solve it.

    good luck