Noisy Pulleys?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by corrado33, Jun 17, 2013.

1. corrado33

corrado33 New Member

Hi all,
    New here, bought my Felt Z85 about about a year ago when I moved out to the gorgeous state of Montana. I've been keeping up on my maintenance as much as I can, chain is lubed, rear derailleur is adjusted correctly, but my pulleys are still loud as all heck. They're really annoying me. I haven't put that many miles on the bike and the pulleys are by no means worn out. The derailleur hanger is not bent (as I have the tool to straighten it). I just don't know why it would be making noise, everything looks lined up. At one point a couple of months ago that bike was absolutely silent, there was no noise whatsoever, from anything. Since that point I've taken a fall, but it was on the left side of the bike. And the noise didn't start directly after the fall. The derailleur itself doesn't look bent (and if it was I would have expected the hanger to be worse than it was). From what I can tell, the noise is mostly coming from the upper pulley. When I took it to a LBS to get a flat fixed (free flat repair for life), I asked them about it and they said it "sounded normal". Even my friend's bike sounds similar (albiet mine is a bit louder.) It's driving me crazy, I don't know what would make it go from being silent to sounding like a helicopter.

It's a bit quieter when I'm on the smaller chainring (it's a compact double), but I can still hear it. It's not a grinding noise, I can literally hear the chain engaging the disengaging the top pulley. When I took the pulleys off to clean them they weren't that dirty, but they also don't spin that freely. They will spin for half a second then stop. I don't know if that's normal or not, I mean they are just simple bushings in a plastic piece. I don't expect it to be perfect.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what I can check? Is it normal for the pulleys to make noise?

Thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

It's normal to hear noise from the chain contacting and bending around the pulley. From your description, all may be normal. From my experience, the noise may increase with wear on the chain, or the type and amount of chain lube present, Have you checked your chain for "stretch" with a ruler or gauge? For minimum noise (and chain wear), recommend a light-oil chain lube, not wax-based or any kind of sticky oil for moto chains or chainsaws. And I like the chain wet enough that wipe some black oil off the surface with a rag. Dry chains seem to make more noise, on my bike at least.

3. corrado33

corrado33 New Member

Thanks, the chain was just recently replaced so it is fine. I forget the exact brand of lube I use but it was recommended by a LBS. Since we almost always have dry weather around here, the choice of lube was pretty easy. I'll have to look at the brand when I get home.