Noisy Quill Stem/Fork Interface

Steve Turner

Guest
No matter which type quill stem I use on this one bike (either wedge tightening or plug tightening)
over time, it starts to creak due to what I believe is movement inside the fork (steel fork). I can
lube the heck out of everything: the wedge, the fastener, and the shaft of the stem, and then torque
it plenty tight enough to get what seems like a tight fit, but it will still start to creak over
time. Any suggestions?

To be honest, there seems to be an inordinate amount of clearance between the the fork steerer and
shaft of the stem. What should the typical clearance be for this?

Any insight at all is appreciated. -Steve

Originally posted by Steve Turner
No matter which type quill stem I use on this one bike (either wedge tightening or plug tightening)
over time, it starts to creak due to what I believe is movement inside the fork (steel fork). I can
lube the heck out of everything: the wedge, the fastener, and the shaft of the stem, and then torque
it plenty tight enough to get what seems like a tight fit, but it will still start to creak over
time. Any suggestions?

To be honest, there seems to be an inordinate amount of clearance between the the fork steerer and
shaft of the stem. What should the typical clearance be for this?

Any insight at all is appreciated. -Steve

What material is the steerer tube?
How thick is it?
How much clearance do you have?
I an thinking aluminum or thin steel that is too large in the I.D.
You may be on to the track when you mention the clearance aspect between the inside of the steerer and the outside of the stem shaft.
Park Tools has a good section on creaks.
Check URL:
http://tinyurl.com/yw4vu
Check your headset and Stem to bar interface as well.
I know that this statement may be construed to be "boudreaux bait" but I like to use Anti-sieze compound in the steerer to stem and the bar to stem interfaces as well as on the headset and stem threads. I like anti-sieze because it lasts longer than grease and helps prevent corosion and well as preventing galling of threaded interfaces. I have used anti-sieze componds on bicycles for 15 years with good results.
I don't have a specification for your clearance question, but the fact that you ask it, makes me suspect that the I.D. of your steering tube is too large.

Steve Turner wrote:
> No matter which type quill stem I use on this one bike (either wedge tightening
> or plug tightening) over time, it starts to creak due to what I believe is
> movement inside the fork (steel fork). I can lube the heck out of everything:
> the wedge, the fastener, and the shaft of the stem, ...

did you lube *under* the *head* of the wedge bolt? I didn't at first, when I was
"lubing the heck out of everything" to beat a squeak. When I finally lubed there,
it made the difference for my vintage Cinelli 1A.

Mark Janeba

dave-<< What material is the steerer tube? >><BR><BR>

'quill', threaded, steel.....

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"