Disclaimer: I am a very non-pro cyclist and will probably now proceed to use
all the wrong words for things.
I have a Dawes Kalahari hybrid which gets me to work and back every day,
five miles but with some fairly steep-ish hills in between. (Up and down, so
sadly in both directions. Bah.)
My rear gear has seven positions. Where 1 is the slowest and 7 is the
fastest, there seems to be something funny going on with gear "5". Whenever
I'm in that gear, I can hear a fairly loud rattling or tinkling sound coming
from the rear cog. It still seems to work perfectly well, it's just noisy.
It's worst when the front gear (Slow 1 - 3 Fast) is on the fastest "3"
setting.
It's recently been into a local bike shop for a routine "Look at my bike and
fix anything that's broken please" visit, and they didn't find anything
wrong, other than the chain needing oiling, which they did.
Should I be worried? Anything I can fiddle with?