Noisy shifting. Would somebody give me some sugestions??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Crlos, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Crlos

    Crlos Guest

    After my last change of the rear shift cable, the derailer began to make noise when changing speeds
    under stress (up climbing or hard pedaling), but not when I am riding a flat surface.

    The group is Shimano STX, 7 speed indexed.

    I followed shimano's recomendations on user manuals and Sheldon's web site but it seems I made
    something wrong.

    I wait your advise, thanks you all

    Fernando(Uruguay)

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (crlos) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > After my last change of the rear shift cable, the derailer began to make noise when changing
    > speeds under stress (up climbing or hard pedaling), but not when I am riding a flat surface.
    >
    > The group is Shimano STX, 7 speed indexed.
    >
    > I followed shimano's recomendations on user manuals and Sheldon's web site but it seems I made
    > something wrong.
    >
    > I wait your advise, thanks you all
    >
    > Fernando(Uruguay)

    1. Did you change both the cable and the cable housing? If so, are you sure you have used
    derailleur cable housing and not brake cable housing? I bought a used bike a while back which
    refused to shift properly no matter what I did in the way of adjustment. It took the eagle eyes
    of Andrew Muzi to spot that whoever put the bike together had used brake cable housing on that
    little loop of cable that goes from the stop on the right chainstay to the rear deraileur.
    Changing to the correct housing made all the difference in the world.

    2. There are two ways to secure the cable to the anchor on the derailleur. For some derailleurs
    (not sure if this applies to your setup), choosing the wrong one will degrade shifting
    performance.

    3. Did you lubricate the new cable? If you also used new housing, did you check that it was cut
    cleanly with no burrs and that the holes at the ends are still round?

    Nigel Grinter

  3. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I have just had a problem with noisy shifting on a new rear mech.Noisy when going up the cassette
    but quiet when going down.It turned out to be the jockey wheels which were bone dry with no grease
    in them.Took them apart,greased the bearing and all is silent now

    Sam Salt

    . "Nigel Grinter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (crlos) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > After my last change of the rear shift cable, the derailer began to make noise when changing
    > > speeds under stress (up climbing or hard pedaling), but not when I am riding a flat surface.
    > >
    > > The group is Shimano STX, 7 speed indexed.
    > >
    > > I followed shimano's recomendations on user manuals and Sheldon's web site but it seems I made
    > > something wrong.
    > >
    > > I wait your advise, thanks you all
    > >
    > > Fernando(Uruguay)
    >
    > 1. Did you change both the cable and the cable housing? If so, are you sure you have used
    > derailleur cable housing and not brake cable housing? I bought a used bike a while back which
    > refused to shift properly no matter what I did in the way of adjustment. It took the eagle
    > eyes of Andrew Muzi to spot that whoever put the bike together had used brake cable housing on
    > that little loop of cable that goes from the stop on the right chainstay to the rear
    > deraileur. Changing to the correct housing made all the difference in the world.
    >
    > 2. There are two ways to secure the cable to the anchor on the derailleur. For some derailleurs
    > (not sure if this applies to your setup), choosing the wrong one will degrade shifting
    > performance.
    >
    > 3. Did you lubricate the new cable? If you also used new housing, did you check that it was cut
    > cleanly with no burrs and that the holes at the ends are still round?
    >
    > Nigel Grinter

  4. Crlos

    Crlos Guest

    > 1. Did you change both the cable and the cable housing? If so, are you sure you have used
    > derailleur cable housing and not brake cable housing?

    No, I've only changed the cable. The housing is shimano SIS SP.

    > 2. There are two ways to secure the cable to the anchor on the derailleur. For some derailleurs
    > (not sure if this applies to your setup), choosing the wrong one will degrade shifting
    > performance.

    That´s ok as stated on instructions

    > 3. Did you lubricate the new cable? If you also used new housing, did you check that it was cut
    > cleanly with no burrs and that the holes at the ends are still round?
    >
    > Nigel Grinter

    Cable was greased.

    I think the cable movement in it´s housing all long.

    May be the rear hanger is out of plane? I did some litle adjustment with a wrench.

    I insist that the shifting is noisy, but it changes to the correct speed with a "crank" noise

    Fernando(Uruguay)

  5. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "crlos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > May be the rear hanger is out of plane? I did some litle adjustment with a wrench.

    I think this is your problem. You did an "adjustment with a wrench" to the rear hanger? Like banging
    it with the wrench? I wouldn't make any frame adjustments bases on a guess that it is misaligned.
    Have it checked by a professional if you think the frame isn't straight.

    dave h

  6. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > > May be the rear hanger is out of plane? I did some litle adjustment with a wrench.

    Oops you need a special tool to align it, bikeshops have it, should rather be done by a pro, sounds
    to me it could be your B-screw.

    Per

  7. Crlos

    Crlos Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > May be the rear hanger is out of plane? I did some litle adjustment with a wrench.
    >
    > Oops you need a special tool to align it, bikeshops have it, should rather be done by a pro,
    > sounds to me it could be your B-screw.
    >
    > Per

    Yes I should go to the bikeshop, thanks you all