Noisy trainer... Tire ?

Wack

Aug 19, 2012
Hi Everyone, New guy here !

I've recently started cycling to get fit and I'm really enjoying it.

I ride a Cannondale Synapse 5 with "stock " tires (Schwalbe Lugano 28 x 1.00-700 x 25c)

I've purchased a CycleOps SuperMagneto PRO for rainy days and winter but I immediately noticed that it was a little noisy (whistling) when ever the wheel is in contact with the unit.

I'm wondering if using a "trainer tire" will make a difference ? I purchased a mag trainer SPECIFICALLY because it's supposed to be the quietest type (So I can train as my 4yo son sleeps).

Any input here would be appreciated.

Eric / Wack

I have had that issue before and the tire had a flat spot on it. As ooon as I changed the tire the noise went away. I always used old tire that I took off my road bike and they work well on the trainer.
I opted to buy a Proform TDF last winter.All magnetic resistance and no tire contact so very quiet. If you have the same issue with a different tire I am not sure what the problem might be since I have nerver ahd experience with that particular trainer.

Deffo use a turbo tyre but make sure its inflated to correct pressure everytime before use.
Another tip is to take the roller pressure off the tyre at the end of the session because it can deform a hot tyre.
Enjoy.

Hey, thanks for the tips on turbo tire care! Maintaining correct pressure is crucial for optimal performance and safety. I appreciate the reminder about roller pressure too, as that's something I sometimes overlook. Happy climbing! :)