Noisy Zipp 303

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I recently purchased a slightly used set of 303's. They have developed a creaky sound when I stand or otherwise apply side load to the front rim. What's up and what can I do? They are still very true.
303 with Sapim oval spokes...thanks

Mish said:
I recently purchased a slightly used set of 303's. They have developed a creaky sound when I stand or otherwise apply side load to the front rim. What's up and what can I do? They are still very true.
303 with Sapim oval spokes...thanks

Bit of lube(Boiled Lindseed oil) between the nipps and rim. Also have both hubs overhauled...checking the bearings. They are teeny, are always dry, samo for the axles...very dry.

Peter@vecchios said:
Bit of lube(Boiled Lindseed oil) between the nipps and rim. Also have both hubs overhauled...checking the bearings. They are teeny, are always dry, samo for the axles...very dry.

Thanks...Oil at the nipple/carbon connection did nothing...for the noise.
I really tightened down the skewer and the noise went away.
Could it be too tight?
The bearings are sealed and as I turn them in the hub they seem to make a little noise. Do I replace them or remove the seals and grease?
I've removed seals on skateboard sized bearings with success (low rpm) but these are different and smaller and might spin out the grease on my blistering rides.

Mish said:
Thanks...Oil at the nipple/carbon connection did nothing...for the noise.
I really tightened down the skewer and the noise went away.
Could it be too tight?
The bearings are sealed and as I turn them in the hub they seem to make a little noise. Do I replace them or remove the seals and grease?
I've removed seals on skateboard sized bearings with success (low rpm) but these are different and smaller and might spin out the grease on my blistering rides.

Zipp QRs can sometimes be noisy and also tighten 'past' the point of tight(past the high spot on the 'cam') and then loosen. May try some other ones.

Remove the seals and grease first..replace if they feel gritty. As I mentioned, they are small(too small?).

check your quick release skewer. make sure it's tight. if it is, lube the mechanism. if that doesn't solve it, remove the axle caps and lube the threads and reinstall. i think those steps should solve it.