Nokon Brake and Shifter Cables

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by snyper0311, Nov 23, 2004.

1. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Hello All,
    I was wondering if any poeple have comments on the Nokon Cables? I was thinking of getting a set for my road bike and was wondering if they really do help in braking/shifting performance or are they more of the "cool " factor thing. I would like to hear both good and bad comments.

Tags:

2. Kenman

Kenman New Member

I use the brake version on my MTB and they seem to work well for that application,I have shimano shifters on my road bike and the Nokon housing didn't seem to work there,but they work great on that last piece of housing going from the chainstay to the rear derailleur because you can run a shorter piece without sacrificing performance.They also work well on "Double squishy" bikes where cable routing can be tricky. Good Luck.

3. mrowkoob

mrowkoob New Member

I have them.
    Two reasons. They are 40% lighter than Dura ace/ Record cables and yes the "cool" factor, they look good.
    Performance is the same.
    One big negative, when you´ve ridden in the rain and then the next time you ride, the cables sqeek. I wont buy them again.

4. shokhead

shokhead New Member

Wont make you faster but lighter in the wallet.

5. ed073

ed073 New Member

Exactamundo....

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Bling and poseur' points...priceless.

7. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

One weakness of the system. There is a similar system by another brand that uses a clear outer jacket. Now if you have Nokons, the solution to this problem is to cover the entire length of segments with clear heatshrink tubing. Shrink after routing the cables as desired.

I found shifting to be faster and braking to be a bit better with Nokons but that was in comparison to my old housings. I imagine the difference with new housings would be less.