Nokon Cable Housings

Great responses......I am going to try them I will try to post my
feedback....it has been a wet year in Oklahoma and my cables are in need of
changing...I am a sucker for the latest and greatest.....even if the latest
is not the greatest....LOL I get caught off guard all the
time....(Ergobrain, Tufo tires, ext...) of course these products might be
good still they just did not fit my purpose....

we shall see.....thanks for leaving all the great feedback...

Biff

news:[email protected]...

Mark McMaster writes:

>> Where are the benefits other than claiming to save weight for
>> weight watchers?

> Apparently, Nokon cables don't even save any weight:

> http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cables

> A flaw I see with the Nokon housings is that because they are made
> up of individual segments, they have virtually no bending stiffness,
> so it is relatively easy to put a kink in the inner cable.

> However, they do have an interesting aesthetic, for those who are
> into that kind of thing.

I hope the patent office didn't allow them a patent because this
string of beads on a cable is an old concept for controls. Making
some of the beads longer than others is not novel enough for patent
protection.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]
Since there is so much supposition and little fact here (other than the exerpts from the patents), I'll fill in the gaps.

First of all, the Nokon segments are made from 5 mm aluminum rod. Each segement has a ball and a socket end that has a positive stop for the minimum bend radius. Each one is also drilled with a taper that corresponds to the minimum bend radius and the entire length is assembled on a PTFE liner for the entire length of the cable, not just the assembled housing length.

The finish is indeed plated, not anodized. Its either a very thin nickel or chromium plating which is not too terribly durable, electrochemically speaking.

Because the housing can accept much smaller bend radii, less housing length is necessary and this results in the greatest weight savings over standard housings. Because the housing is immune from diameter changes, ovality or other load-induced distortion, friction is reduced compared to either axial strand housings (indexed shifter) or helical wound (brake).

If care is taken to prevent external corrosion, these cable assemblies have a very long life and consistent operation due to the full liner length.

Nokon sucessfully defended their patent in a claim against IRD over the latter's Metawire product line which has been removed from the market.