Nokon cabling alert

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Jay Woo, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    I wanted to share with you all my short 'experience' with Nokon
    cabling. Today I was cleaning my 'weekend love affair' and noticed that
    the Nokon cabling had started corroding!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/
    It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
    off.
    The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
    This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
    I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
    I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
    No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.

    I'm back to boring stock cabling:/
     
    Tags:


  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Jay Woo wrote:
    > I wanted to share with you all my short 'experience' with Nokon
    > cabling. Today I was cleaning my 'weekend love affair' and noticed that
    > the Nokon cabling had started corroding!
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/
    > It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
    > off.
    > The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
    > This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
    > I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
    > I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
    > No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.


    "Aluminum housing won't rust"
    http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm

    Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(

    hippy
     
  3. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "Aluminum housing won't rust"
    > http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm
    >
    > Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(


    Yeah that's the perplexing part. I read all the guff before purchasing,
    and thought it was going to be all good, but me not happy now:/ To me
    it defiantly looks like an outer shiny layer of some description is
    coming off and exposing a dull under side.
     
  4. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    No matter what is going on, it's not a good look, down right tacky/sub
    standard (Gold Mart Bling Bling) if you ask me. So it's in the bin with
    it... Nokon cabling slightly used, needs a good home ; )
     
  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Jay Woo wrote:
    > No matter what is going on, it's not a good look, down right tacky/sub
    > standard (Gold Mart Bling Bling) if you ask me. So it's in the bin with
    > it... Nokon cabling slightly used, needs a good home ; )


    I could put 'em on the GT (xc->trials->ss->geared tourer) :).
    Other than the corrosion - how did you find them?

    hippy
     
  6. "Jay Woo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
    >> off.
    >> The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
    >> This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
    >> I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
    >> I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
    >> No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.


    > hippy wrote:
    >
    > > "Aluminum housing won't rust"
    > > http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm
    > >
    > > Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(

    >
    > Yeah that's the perplexing part. I read all the guff before purchasing,
    > and thought it was going to be all good, but me not happy now:/ To me
    > it defiantly looks like an outer shiny layer of some description is
    > coming off and exposing a dull under side.


    This cable system doesnt look to be anodised. You say it's some sort of
    plating. I wouldn't be surprised if the citrus cleaner is the culprit here,
    as citric acid can have a nasty effect on cheaper plating. Most alloy parts
    on bike are anodised, not plated, so citrus cleaner will not affect them.
    Any experts in chemistry?

    Cheers
    Peter
    >
     
  7. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Other than the corrosion - how did you find them?


    They creak sometimes. It's all those little joints. Shifting is fine.
     
  8. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    You are welcome to them Hippy. Though I wont be changed over for a
    couple of weeks though me thinks.
     
  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Jay Woo wrote:
    > You are welcome to them Hippy. Though I wont be changed over for a
    > couple of weeks though me thinks.


    I'll probably have fresh DeoreLX on the GT by then. Still.. it'd be cool
    to have something funky on the touring machine - even better that it's
    uglified! :)

    I've got a pile of cool stickers to cover the GT with but I need to find
    some purple ano'd parts for ultimate in Bike Cheese :D
    Oh, I need a mojo as well! (see: http://www.sdmb.org/mojo.html)

    hippy
     
Loading...
Loading...