Nokon cabling alert

Jay Woo

Guest
I wanted to share with you all my short 'experience' with Nokon
cabling. Today I was cleaning my 'weekend love affair' and noticed that
the Nokon cabling had started corroding!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/
It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
off.
The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.

I'm back to boring stock cabling:/

Jay Woo wrote:
> I wanted to share with you all my short 'experience' with Nokon
> cabling. Today I was cleaning my 'weekend love affair' and noticed that
> the Nokon cabling had started corroding!
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/
> It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
> off.
> The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
> This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
> I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
> I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
> No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.

"Aluminum housing won't rust"
http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm

Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(

hippy

hippy wrote:

> "Aluminum housing won't rust"
> http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm
>
> Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(

Yeah that's the perplexing part. I read all the guff before purchasing,
and thought it was going to be all good, but me not happy now:/ To me
it defiantly looks like an outer shiny layer of some description is
coming off and exposing a dull under side.

No matter what is going on, it's not a good look, down right tacky/sub
standard (Gold Mart Bling Bling) if you ask me. So it's in the bin with
it... Nokon cabling slightly used, needs a good home ; )

Jay Woo wrote:
> No matter what is going on, it's not a good look, down right tacky/sub
> standard (Gold Mart Bling Bling) if you ask me. So it's in the bin with
> it... Nokon cabling slightly used, needs a good home ; )

I could put 'em on the GT (xc->trials->ss->geared tourer) :).
Other than the corrosion - how did you find them?

hippy

"Jay Woo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> It looks to me like it is some sort of chrome plating that is coming
>> off.
>> The cabling is no more that 6 months old.
>> This steed only makes it out of the stable on weekends.
>> I haven't ridden any coastal routes.
>> I love to clean her most weekends using diluted citrus cleaner.
>> No other parts of the bike are showing signs of any sort of corrosion.

> hippy wrote:
>
> > "Aluminum housing won't rust"
> > http://www.nokonusa.com/NokonUSA_Advantage.htm
> >
> > Well, they're right.. it's not 'iron' oxide is it?! :(

> Yeah that's the perplexing part. I read all the guff before purchasing,
> and thought it was going to be all good, but me not happy now:/ To me
> it defiantly looks like an outer shiny layer of some description is
> coming off and exposing a dull under side.

This cable system doesnt look to be anodised. You say it's some sort of
plating. I wouldn't be surprised if the citrus cleaner is the culprit here,
as citric acid can have a nasty effect on cheaper plating. Most alloy parts
on bike are anodised, not plated, so citrus cleaner will not affect them.
Any experts in chemistry?

Cheers
Peter

hippy wrote:
> Other than the corrosion - how did you find them?

They creak sometimes. It's all those little joints. Shifting is fine.

You are welcome to them Hippy. Though I wont be changed over for a
couple of weeks though me thinks.

Jay Woo wrote:
> You are welcome to them Hippy. Though I wont be changed over for a
> couple of weeks though me thinks.

I'll probably have fresh DeoreLX on the GT by then. Still.. it'd be cool
to have something funky on the touring machine - even better that it's
uglified! :)

I've got a pile of cool stickers to cover the GT with but I need to find
some purple ano'd parts for ultimate in Bike Cheese :D
Oh, I need a mojo as well! (see: http://www.sdmb.org/mojo.html)

hippy