Non coaster beach cruiser

Beerbarian

Jan 13, 2012
Hey guys. I have a beach cruiser style bicycle. I do not want the coaster brakes on it for several reasons, one in particular is because I usually ride it DOWNHILL for long long long periods of time, and a coaster brake burns up, and repacking it with grease is a pain in the butt.

I would like to replace the rear wheel so that it has a Non-Coaster Brake hub but is also not fixed gear. A single speed is all I need. I know, it sounds weird, but it's what I need.

Can anyone suggest where I can find such a wheel?

Thanks.

You are probably going to need a "custom" wheel ...

Either YOU or someone you know can relace the current rim on a TRACK hub ([COLOR= #808080]or, equivalent -- most other types of rear hubs will be too wide for the frame[/COLOR]) ... FORMULA makes high flange rear hubs ... almost any BMX rear hub can be used, too, but they are mostly 36h ([COLOR= #808080]which I suppose is probably what your coaster brake hub probably is[/COLOR]) ... BMX hubs are generally low flange ... a BMX rear hubs probably start at around $20, and go up from there ... the Track hubs start at about 2x that amount.

• I think a coaster brake hub is equivalent to a high flange hub, BTW
  • it will be easier to relace the rim onto a hub whose flange "height" is the same

Add an appropriate BMX Freewheel ([COLOR= #808080]they are available for 1/8" & 3/32" chains ... the narrower can be used with either size chain[/COLOR]) whose tooth count matches what you want ...

• I recommend ACS CLAW Freewheels.
  • Shimano makes BMX Freewheels, too
  • there are other brands, but ...

I presume your bike has a front brake caliper, already ...

You can add a rear brake caliper to supplement the front brake if you want..

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, I have already removed the coaster brake pads from inside the coaster hub, so it works kind of like a Free Wheel. However, there is some slack when pedaling forward. I have reduced the slack by basically adding washers to the inside of the hub which act as a "stop" for the "screw" that is causing the slack when I coast for long periods of time. However, the washers are not enough to completely remove the slack, and adding another washer makes it too tight, creating what is basically a "Fixie".

So, yea, what I am looking to do now is take the entire rear wheel off, get a replacement wheel with a Freewheel hub, and go from there.

Thanks again!