Non-cooked, simple food is healthiest

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Mar 10, 2006.

  1. > By the way, our family has been vegetarian and eating healthy for
    > generations, but we have the usual share of family suffering

    I have an ex who said he was vegetarian. Turned out later he lived on
    Kit Kat bars.

    A good diet won't ensure you perfect health, but it helps. With your
    list of woes, though, I'm pretty sure you're leaving something out.
    Deep fat frying? Cream? Kit Kat Bars?

  2. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I eat potatoes without putting anything on them. I also eat cooked
    > oatmeal without adding anything else. What you are describing is what I
    > call the dog turd theory of food. If you start with a dog turd and add
    > sugar, cinnamon and butter to it, it might be palatable. Could it be
    > that some people really don't like potatoes, but just the stuff they
    > put on it?

    Well, I for one would consider *oatmeal* the *dog turd*. I do not do
    oatmeal unless cooked into something like muffins. Besides oatmeal is
    heavily processed as in it doesn't come off the plant looking like that!

    > "Most people" in this case are everyone posting here so far including
    > you who are hostile to vegetarianism I guess and prefer nonsimple
    > foods. Not a problem. I just like simple food best and think its better
    > for me. I also do not cook unless heating oatmeal in the microwave is
    > called cooking. I'm pretty healthy far as I know, too.

    I'm not hostal towards vegetarianism. I a practicing vegetarian for
    most lunches and some dinners. How you eat or what you choose to eat is
    entirely your thing and nothing to do with me. Hostility is not a good
    thing either as it interfers with digestion. So you like simple food,
    go for it. Why come to a cooking ng and tell us cooking is bad? My
    choice is to cook some of my foods. I'm happy with that choice and feel
    I can live with that. I can't speak for others here. Given your views,
    why don't you check out a natural foods newsgroup? They might be better
    suited to your needs.

    Microwaves have been indicated in scrambling your brain cells and
    causing damage to your intestinal tract but so has peanut butter and
    x-rays. If you are pregnant standing with your belly to the microwave
    can cause spontaneous abortions but so can falling down a flight of
    stairs. In general, cats don't fare well in the microwave but the local
    Chinese restaurants have perfected cooking cats to a fine science. Go
    figure! If you don't believe me, check out the research.

    PS. wear a tinfoil hat while reading the articles :)

  3. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >>[W]e all seem to be opposed to the careless use of
    >>words like "non-cooked"

    > His post is mired in confusion, and rather than debate this, he should
    > scurry home and not return until he can make sense. Because as another
    > poster says, homemade salsa is *terrific* on a baked potato, and,
    > contrary to OP's claim that simple food is healthiest, it's better for
    > you than a *plain* baked potato. (Which, also contrary to an OP claim,
    > is COOKED.)

    Homemade chili sauce - not chili con carne - is wonderful on baked or
    mashed potatoes especially when the snow is falling!

    > I ate very simple, marginally-cooked vegetarian food for years. I
    > don't now because IT'S DULL AS DISHWATER. OP should have announced his
    > allegiance to simple, low-fat foods and asked for recipes rather than
    > paraded in like he was bearing Wonderful News for the high-fat heathens.

  4. salgud

    salgud Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Why not do both..live a long time and enjoy life including eating. Food
    > preference is just that. If you do not eat meat for a couple of weeks,
    > it begins to smell rotten to you, for example.

    So why did my son, after giving up meat for over a year, go back to
    eating it? He never said it smelled rotten.
    If you want or like to eat a certain way, go ahead. But don't make up
    silly stories to prognosticate to others. Why demonstrate your
    insecurity about it by trying to get validation somehow by persuading
    others to do the same? If you were really satisfied with your decision,
    you wouldn't be here pushing your beliefs on others.

    Yes, there is evidence
    > that a high-fat diet suggested by eggs, dairy, meat is not good for
    > you. You can eat egg whites and throw away the yolk though, and drink
    > nonfat milk and eat very little meat. Then you don't have to call
    > yourself a vegetarian.

  5. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Groups like this have great intentions. Sharing recipes, etc. That is
    > part of the live to eat mentality however. I'll say it anyway. A
    > simple, vegetarian, low-salt, low-fat, low calorie diet high in whole
    > grains, fruit, vegetables and fiber is the healthiest way to eat. This
    > involves almost no cooking at all.

    OK, so you don't wanna cook. That's fine for you, but
    what on Earth are you doing HERE? Just trying to become
    an evangelical non-cook, or what?

    Bob M.

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > Dee Randall wrote:
    >

    >>OK, just to get you going again --haven't you heard that skin is really,
    >>really, really, really bad for you?
    >>

    > They are??? There is a toxin in the eyes and in the greenish coloured skins
    > of young potatoes, but I was under the impression that they were actually
    > pretty good for you, and a quick Google search confirmed that.

    My understanding and I could be wrong is potato skins are good for you
    because they provide additional nutrients and fibre. We very seldom eat
    potatoes without their jackets. They are well washed and I don't cook
    potatoes with green spots.

  7. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Why not do both..live a long time and enjoy life including eating. Food
    >> preference is just that. If you do not eat meat for a couple of weeks,
    >> it begins to smell rotten to you, for example.

    > So why did my son, after giving up meat for over a year, go back to
    > eating it? He never said it smelled rotten.
    > If you want or like to eat a certain way, go ahead. But don't make up
    > silly stories to prognosticate to others. Why demonstrate your
    > insecurity about it by trying to get validation somehow by persuading
    > others to do the same? If you were really satisfied with your decision,
    > you wouldn't be here pushing your beliefs on others.

    I suspect this person found a web page written by someone equally dumb, and
    took it as gospel. One of the dangers of the web.

  8. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Or I can still eat fish and chicken and call my self a vegetarian just
    > to annoy people.

    Right; like that guy in the Outback commercial says, I'm a
    complete vegetarian, except for the pork and beef. Well,
    OK, and the chicken. And the seafood. Well, and the
    occasional duck, turkey, goose, and other fowl. But definitely
    an absolute, strict vegetarian except for those minor exceptions!

    Wait...did I mention the buffalo? What about squirrels?....

    Bob M.

  9. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    > Social pressures to eat? Huh. Never would have thunk it.

    Absolutely. If I don't eat, my stomach gets VERY anti-social
    toward me...

    Bob M.

  10. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Most people" in this case are everyone posting here so far including
    > you who are hostile to vegetarianism I guess and prefer nonsimple
    > foods. Not a problem. I just like simple food best and think its better
    > for me. I also do not cook unless heating oatmeal in the microwave is
    > called cooking. I'm pretty healthy far as I know, too.

    OK, so are you proposing a new group, perhaps called
    rec.food.bland-n-raw, or what?

    Bob M.

  11. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > Most people agree [snip]

    > Actually, that's not so. People who agree with you constitute a tiny
    > minority of the world's population.

    And let's all check back in in, say, 100 years and see how
    many of THEM are still healthy, shall we?

    :)

    Bob M.

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >> Glitter Ninja wrote:

    >>> I love pico de gallo on my salads instead of dressing. I can't
    >>> wait until we get some good tomatoes at the local markets so I can
    >>> make a batch.
    >>> I would consider making pico de gallo "cooking" even if I don't
    >>> warm up a pan or oven to make it. You have to prepare it per a
    >>> recipe, anyways. And I love potatoes, but they have to have
    >>> SOMETHING on them. A little olive oil and kosher salt on the outside
    >>> when baked, maybe. "Non-cooked" potatoes will make you sick as a
    >>> dog, anyways.
    >>>
    >>> Stacia
    >>>

    >> Stacia, that is a good point! Some veggies can be eaten cooked or raw
    >> but others really need to be cooked. My list of really need to be
    >> cooked - turnips, rutabegas, parsnips, squashes, potatoes. I'm not
    >> sure if uncooked potatoes will make you sick. I've been known to pop
    >> a piece or two into my mouth when cutting potatoes up for cooking. I
    >> haven't suffered any ill effects but that doesn't mean it couldn't
    >> happen.

    > Summer squash, and to a lesser extent rutabagas, are good raw. Just
    > slice them thin.
    >
    > Bob

    I stand corrected and will give them a try. Thanks! Do you eat them
    plain or are they good for dipping?

  13. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> haven't you heard that skin is really, really, really, really bad for
    >> you?

    > Don't tell me I'm actually going to *learn* something in this thread.
    >
    > I thought potato skin was GOOD for you. Something about all the iron
    > and minerals in dirt working their way into the skin.
    >
    > Wow: it's sounding stupid to me and nobody's even responded yet.

    GIYF,
    Dee Dee

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Bob Myers wrote:

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Social pressures to eat? Huh. Never would have thunk it.

    > Absolutely. If I don't eat, my stomach gets VERY anti-social
    > toward me...
    >
    > Bob M.

    I have noticed there is a direct correlation to fighting with DH if I'm
    hungry. Feed me and all is well. Don't feed me and all is hell. Take
    your pick ;)

  15. Zilbandy

    Zilbandy Guest

  16. zxcvbob <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Why not do both..live a long time and enjoy life including eating. Food
    >> preference is just that. If you do not eat meat for a couple of weeks,
    >> it begins to smell rotten to you, for example. Yes, there is evidence
    >> that a high-fat diet suggested by eggs, dairy, meat is not good for
    >> you. You can eat egg whites and throw away the yolk though, and drink
    >> nonfat milk and eat very little meat. Then you don't have to call
    >> yourself a vegetarian.
    >>

    > Or I can still eat fish and chicken and call my self a vegetarian just
    > to annoy people.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    LOL... priceless.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  17. [email protected] hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > I eat potatoes without putting anything on them. I also eat cooked
    > oatmeal without adding anything else. What you are describing is what I
    > call the dog turd theory of food. If you start with a dog turd and add
    > sugar, cinnamon and butter to it, it might be palatable. Could it be
    > that some people really don't like potatoes, but just the stuff they
    > put on it?
    >
    > "Most people" in this case are everyone posting here so far including
    > you who are hostile to vegetarianism I guess and prefer nonsimple
    > foods. Not a problem. I just like simple food best and think its better
    > for me. I also do not cook unless heating oatmeal in the microwave is
    > called cooking. I'm pretty healthy far as I know, too.

    Okay. So why didn't you just say you were a vegetarian instead of
    sermonizing? How about posting a vegetarian recipe that you would use as a
    main course meal? I'm a definitely carnivorous but I just might like a
    vegetarian dish.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  18. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Some consider microwaving worse than any other cooking method. There
    > have been several articles on this. They often re-appear in health food
    > store magazines.

    OK, but at this point we should add the Standard Disclaimer:
    the fact that a given piece of "information" appears in Genuine
    Print is no evidence at all of the accuracy of said information.
    Examples submitted for your consideration are the collected works
    of I. Velikovksy and E. von Daniken, and pretty much the entire web...

    Bob M.

  19. Doug Kanter wrote:

    > I suspect this person found a web page written by someone equally dumb, and
    > took it as gospel. One of the dangers of the web.

    Nah, ideas and logic like that were around long before the web.

    --Lia

  20. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Julia Altshuler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    >
    >> I suspect this person found a web page written by someone equally dumb,
    >> and took it as gospel. One of the dangers of the web.

    > Nah, ideas and logic like that were around long before the web.
    >
    > --Lia

    In a word: macrobiotics. Is that nonsense still floating around? Eggplant,
    peppers and oranges contained too much Yang. OK.