Non-cycling specific Co2 Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lsnfa, Jan 30, 2004.

1. lsnfa

lsnfa New Member

They are cheaper but I hear that these Co2 cartridges made for pellet gun contains oil in it to lube the pellet gun chamber(?) and getting oil inside tube is not good, as I'd think. Is this true?

Tags:

2. ccdriver

ccdriver New Member

I don't know but I have been using them for several years and have had no problems. I get them at the sporting goods store 6 for $5.00 12g's.

3. Cipher

Cipher New Member

I've been using them for a few years as well, and have had no issues or concerns regarding lube. oil in the cartridges... Get em at Wal-mart, a box of 25 will run ya 10~12 bucks. ;)

4. kjkrueger

kjkrueger New Member

So what if they have oil in them? I've read the theory that the oil will break down the tube from the inside out, but so what? How long would that take? I'd bet that the normal Joe would be replacing the tubes due to punctures way earlier than the amount of time it would take for the oil to break down the tube.

My opinion is that the point of the Co2 inflator is to inflate the tube after being patched, to get air in it long enough for me to get home. Once home, I can then make a decision on whethor or not to replace it with a new one. Typically, I'll patch a tube several times before I replace it, unless my next ride is a longer distance (>60 miles). Then I replace the tube just as mental assurance.