Non-drop multi-position handlebar?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Papercut, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Papercut

    Papercut Guest

    I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried it.
    It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on how
    it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

    Tags:

  2. H. Guy

    H. Guy Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (papercut) wrote:

    > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    > how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

    scott makes (or made?) a similar bar, the at-4 pro. you can see it at:

    http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/scott_combo.html

    i've got one of these on my mtb and i really like them. in addition to the standard
    riding-on-the-brakes position, you can use the outer sides for leverage, the upper and lower corners
    for different resting positions, the far curve for stretching out a bit, or even go full aero by
    using the central portion and resting your forearms on the back of the bars!

  3. I remember seeing the EXACT same bars as nashbar sells on some cyclocross style bike on a website.
    The thing that's weird about the bars, is they were mounted in reverse to what I originally thought
    they'd be.

    Meaning, the bike company had them so the bar went through the stem, and then straight foward and
    then back around again to where the shifters/brakes and grips were. Hard to explain I guess. But it
    seemed like they'd flex a considerable amount in that position, which might be good for a bit of
    shock absorption?

    Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

    "papercut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    > how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

  4. [email protected] (H.=A0Guy) wrote: <snip> scott makes (or made?) a similar bar, the at-4
    pro. you can see it at:

    http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/scott_combo.html </snip>

    I'va always wondered why this design hasn't caught on. Sure, some people may not want so large a
    "bar end", but they can always be shortened with a hacksaw!

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  5. Peder

    Peder Guest

    [email protected] (papercut) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    > how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

    Which way is forward and where do the levers go? I'm tired of the single hand position on my
    straight bars. Thanks.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

  6. Peder

    Peder Guest

    [email protected] (papercut) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    > how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

    Have you mounted them yet? How do you like them? Thanks.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

  7. Peder

    Peder Guest

    "H. Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in news:HelpfulGuy-
    [email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (papercut) wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    >> it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    >> how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?
    >
    > scott makes (or made?) a similar bar, the at-4 pro. you can see it at:
    >
    > http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/scott_combo.html

    Are these made anymore? About the only ref to them is on that Bike-pro page and it looks to be about
    7-8 years old. Those AT-4 Pro's look like something I'd like. Thanks.

    --
    Peder (Please reply to group only, email invalid)

  8. baybiker_99

    baybiker_99 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2003
    I just saw bars like these used on REI's 2004 Novara Safari bike, for touring. Very interesting, as the open ends face the rider and had gripshift at the ends of the bar (inside) and lever brakes next to that. I did not test ride the bike, but it seemed okay. Maybe I'll go back and report on it. The spec for the handlebars is simply "trekking". So if you are braking, your hands would be closer t, but not quite even the fork steerer tube, or that might depend on how long the stem is.

  9. Jerbo

    Jerbo Guest

    baybiker_99 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just saw bars like these used on REI's 2004 Novara Safari bike, for touring. Very interesting,
    > as the open ends face the rider and had gripshift at the ends of the bar (inside) and lever brakes
    > next to that. I did not test ride the bike, but it seemed okay. Maybe I'll go back and report on
    > it. The spec for the handlebars is simply "trekking". So if you are braking, your hands would be
    > closer t, but not quite even the fork steerer tube, or that might depend on how long the stem is.

    I just mounted these bars on my "new" (read: rebuilt old frame) commuter with nearly this exact
    setup. I have to say that, so far, I like it. My only complaint is only being able to brake from one
    hand position, but I'm thinking of putting on those Profile brake splitters. When in the braking
    position, my hands are about even with the steerer tube.

    I also put some bar ends up around the inside so they're just before the bend to where the stem
    clamps the bar. this set-up gives me a pretty relaxed, and nice for me, aero option as well.

    -J

  10. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, baybiker_99 <[email protected]> writes:

    >I just saw bars like these used on REI's 2004 Novara Safari bike, for touring. Very interesting, as
    >the open ends face the rider and had gripshift at the ends of the bar (inside) and lever brakes
    >next to that. I did not test ride the bike, but it seemed okay. Maybe I'll go back and report on
    >it. The spec for the handlebars is simply "trekking". So if you are braking, your hands would be
    >closer t, but not quite even the fork steerer tube, or that might depend on how long the stem is.

    My wife has used these and liked them. They were easy to set up and durable, even after being
    hit by a car.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  11. Dan Ballagh

    Dan Ballagh Guest

    [email protected] (papercut) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending on
    > how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?

    I have something very similar to this on my touring bike. I use a MTB straight bar that has been
    shortened and I added long bar ends. The bar ends have been adjusted to be almost level to the
    ground (Perhaps 10 degrees) and the end results looks something like the Nashbar Trekking handlebar.
    I have also added areo bars to provide a lower profile. With this configuration I have plenty of
    hand positions, upright riding position when riding in the city, and an aero dynamic profile when
    riding faster.

    It works for me.

    Dan.

  12. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > [email protected] (papercut) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > > it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending
    > > on how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical considerations?
    >
    > Have you mounted them yet? How do you like them? Thanks.

    I have a similar (Scott AT-3) bar on my fixed-gear bike. What I like it for is the width, it looks
    very much like the "Stair Master" machine at the gym. It's great for pedaling out of the saddle,
    which is something I do a lot of on the fixer, but not all that much on other bikes. I don't think
    I'd like this style bar very much except for that application, drop bars are much more versatile.

  13. > "H. Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in news:HelpfulGuy-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (papercut)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just bought the Nashbar Trekking ATB/Hybrid Handlebar and am curious if anyone here has tried
    > >> it. It's a rather unusual shape, kinda like a combination riser/flat/north road bar, depending
    > >> on how it's oriented. Anyone have experience with it and any infoabout practical
    > >> considerations?
    > >
    > > scott makes (or made?) a similar bar, the at-4 pro. you can see it at:
    > >
    > > http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/scott_combo.html
    > >

    > Are these made anymore? About the only ref to them is on that Bike-pro page and it looks to be
    > about 7-8 years old. Those AT-4 Pro's look like something I'd like. Thanks.

    I doubt it. I bought a set of the Scott bars from Nashbar about 4 years ago. One of Nashbar's
    closeout, liquidation, buy stuff they never carried real cheap from somewhere, and sell it real
    cheap to the customer. I probably paid about $10 for the Scott bars. Still have not put them on the
    mountain bike so I cannot comment on how they work. I did ride with someone 4 years ago who had them
    on his mountain bike. Used for group night riding in the city. That is where I got the idea to try
    them. I disliked the choice of so few hand positions on my mountain bike with bar ends.