Non-Ergo non-carbon Campy brake levers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Donald Gillies, May 27, 2004.

  1. kwalters <[email protected]> writes:

    >Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    >that are non-Ergo (non-carbon) and have a caliper QR?

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    you must mean lever

    non-Ergo with lever QR => no, i believe. carbon/aluminum it doesn't matter.

    Happily, you can buy cheap Chorus aluminum levers on ebay for much
    less than $130, i believe. Alternately, you could buy some weinmann
    levers (hoods are much easier to find) that have QR's for like $10 on
    ebay. They might be a little touchey (centerpull levers must pull the
    wire farther to stop the bike), but they have the best self-resetting
    QR in history.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Tags:

  2. kwalters

    kwalters Guest

    Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a retailer?
    I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the dual-pivot calipers I
    just
    bought.

    Thanks. Ken

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:05:57 -0700, kwalters <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    >that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a retailer?
    >I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the dual-pivot calipers I
    >just
    >bought.
    >
    >Thanks. Ken

    If you'd like, I'll take all the shifting part out of a set of 8sp
    levers and sell the brake levers to you for $50. A better solution is
    to get an inline cable adjuster for any brake. I think I have a set
    of Dia Compe levers that have a release in the lever in the garage
    too.

  4. slug

    slug Guest

    On 5/27/04 4:05 PM, in article [email protected], "kwalters"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    > that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a retailer?
    > I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the dual-pivot calipers I
    > just bought.

    One of my roommates just put a lever like that on a bike, though it doesn't
    seem to have a model name, so I have no idea what group it's from or how old
    it is.. It doesn't seem to be working so great either for that matter, but I
    don't know where it came from, so perhaps someone took it apart once and
    reassembled it wrong.

    My point is, a Campagnolo road brake lever with no shift controls and with a
    QR button does exist. The position of the QR roughly corresponds to those on
    current Campy stuff, so you could poke around on eBay and look at the
    pictures..

    Have fun..

    Y.

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    wrote:

    >Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    >that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a retailer?
    >I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the dual-pivot calipers I
    >just
    >bought.
    >
    >Thanks. Ken

    If you can't find a campy one, Shimano made at least one model with a
    quick release built in- Exage. For example (Great Britain seller)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16143&item=3679395056&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

  6. kwalters <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    > that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a retailer?
    > I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the dual-pivot calipers I
    > just
    > bought.

    > Thanks. Ken

    I built a Chorus bike in '88 (or so) that had this. The levers had a push
    button on the side that released the calipers and the cables could be routed
    either from the top or from the rear along the bars (a little white plug
    was supplied to cover the hole in the top of the white hoods.)

    I forget what they called the caliper design but they had a split side
    and the other side's arm fit through the split. IIRC, this was when
    Record had the Delta calipers.

    Of course, I tried to suffer through the original Synchro II nightmare.
    Finally gave up and went back to Superbe Pro.

  7. kwalters-<< Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, until 1999, when they introduced the carbon ones. Metal levers, with a QR,
    made since 1984. First used with Deltas.

    Really rare tho.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I forget what they called the caliper design but they had a
    > split side and the other side's arm fit through the split.

    "Monoplanar"

    James Thomson

  9. Father Time

    Father Time Guest

    I thought that I would consult the group before I make an impusive purchase.

    I am looking to purchase a bike lamp that will illuminate brightly for over
    four hours of riding.

    1) Is there a better bike light than the NiteRider Flame Thrower? If so
    why?

    2) Is there a better deal for the NiteRider Flame Thrower Lighting System
    for approximately $379.99 including shipping?

    http://www.niterider.com/BIKEPRODUCTS/FlameThrower.html

    I am interested in both their handlebar and helmet mounting hardware.

    Father Time

  10. slug

    slug Guest

    On 5/28/04 7:58 AM, in article [email protected],
    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > kwalters-<< Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record
    > that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Yes, until 1999, when they introduced the carbon ones. Metal levers, with a
    > QR,
    > made since 1984. First used with Deltas.
    >
    > Really rare tho.

    That makes it really strange that my roommate John has stumbled across 2
    pair of these. He's willing to sell the extra pair, though the levers are
    incomplete: the strap, bolt, and nut for fastening to the handlebar are
    missing..

    e-mail me outside the NG if you want to buy 'em. John'll probably take any
    offer.

    Once I find my camera, I'll take a picture and link to it from here in case
    anyone can identify the levers more precisely..

    cheers.
    y.

  11. Mark South

    Mark South Guest