Non-Ergo non-carbon Campy brake levers

Kwalters

Guest
Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a
retailer? I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the
dual-pivot calipers I just bought.

Thanks. Ken

kwalters <[email protected]> writes:

>Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
>are non-Ergo (non-carbon) and have a caliper QR?

you must mean lever

non-Ergo with lever QR => no, i believe. carbon/aluminum it
doesn't matter.

Happily, you can buy cheap Chorus aluminum levers on ebay
for much less than $130, i believe. Alternately, you could
buy some weinmann levers (hoods are much easier to find)
that have QR's for like $10 on ebay. They might be a
little touchey (centerpull levers must pull the wire
farther to stop the bike), but they have the best self-
resetting QR in history.

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:05:57 -0700, kwalters <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
>are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a
>retailer? I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the
>dual-pivot calipers I just bought.
>
>Thanks. Ken

If you'd like, I'll take all the shifting part out of a set
of 8sp levers and sell the brake levers to you for $50. A
better solution is to get an inline cable adjuster for any
brake. I think I have a set of Dia Compe levers that have a
release in the lever in the garage too.

On 5/27/04 4:05 PM, in article [email protected], "kwalters"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
> are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a
> retailer? I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the
> dual-pivot calipers I just bought.

One of my roommates just put a lever like that on a bike,
though it doesn't seem to have a model name, so I have no
idea what group it's from or how old it is.. It doesn't seem
to be working so great either for that matter, but I don't
know where it came from, so perhaps someone took it apart
once and reassembled it wrong.

My point is, a Campagnolo road brake lever with no shift
controls and with a QR button does exist. The position of
the QR roughly corresponds to those on current Campy stuff,
so you could poke around on eBay and look at the pictures..

Have fun..

Y.

wrote:

>Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
>are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a
>retailer? I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the
>dual-pivot calipers I just bought.
>
>Thanks. Ken

If you can't find a campy one, Shimano made at least one
model with a quick release built in- Exage. For example
(Great Britain seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1614-
3&item=3679395056&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

kwalters-<< Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than
Record that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR?
>><BR><BR>

Yes, until 1999, when they introduced the carbon ones. Metal
levers, with a QR, made since 1984. First used with Deltas.

Really rare tho.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

kwalters <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than Record that
> are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR? If so, a
> retailer? I hate to spend $130 just to be able to use the
> dual-pivot calipers I just bought.

> Thanks. Ken

I built a Chorus bike in '88 (or so) that had this. The
levers had a push button on the side that released the
calipers and the cables could be routed either from the top
or from the rear along the bars (a little white plug was
supplied to cover the hole in the top of the white hoods.)

I forget what they called the caliper design but they had a
split side and the other side's arm fit through the split.
IIRC, this was when Record had the Delta calipers.

Of course, I tried to suffer through the original Synchro II
nightmare. Finally gave up and went back to Superbe Pro.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I forget what they called the caliper design but they
> had a split side and the other side's arm fit through
> the split.

"Monoplanar"

James Thomson

I thought that I would consult the group before I make an
impusive purchase.

I am looking to purchase a bike lamp that will illuminate
brightly for over four hours of riding.

1) Is there a better bike light than the NiteRider Flame
Thrower? If so why?

2) Is there a better deal for the NiteRider Flame
Thrower Lighting System for approximately $379.99
including shipping?

http://www.niterider.com/BIKEPRODUCTS/FlameThrower.html

I am interested in both their handlebar and helmet
mounting hardware.

Father Time

On 5/28/04 7:58 AM, in article [email protected],
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> kwalters-<< Does (Did) Campy make brake levers other than
> Record that are non-Ergo non-carbon and have a caliper QR?
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Yes, until 1999, when they introduced the carbon ones.
> Metal levers, with a QR, made since 1984. First used
> with Deltas.
>
> Really rare tho.

That makes it really strange that my roommate John has
stumbled across 2 pair of these. He's willing to sell the
extra pair, though the levers are incomplete: the strap,
bolt, and nut for fastening to the handlebar are missing..

e-mail me outside the NG if you want to buy 'em. John'll
probably take any offer.

Once I find my camera, I'll take a picture and link to it
from here in case anyone can identify the levers more
precisely..

cheers.
y.