NON-FRENCH TIRES

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Alexey Merz" wrote:
>
> > Korea? That's the stamp on my latest batch of Avocets.
>
> North or south?

"MADE IN KOREA." So, South. Of course that doesn't matter, the Bush Admin. has been so hostile to
efforts at detente between the Koreas that it's safe to assume that "Luigi" should boycott both
North and South.

Petroleum prodiucts originating in Saudi Arabia are just fine, though. In contrast to France,
Mexico, Germany and Canada, and the vast majority of the British citizenry, the Saudis are
friendlies. Really.

-Alex

??? What's wrong with French made tires ?

Do you want to cycle or to play some childish politics ???

What is the "crime" of France these days? To stand for peace? To oppose military unilateral actions,
not supported by United Nations and most nations of the World ? The stand of France in this crisis
is far from being a crime, it is an act of responsability and courage. And do not forget that the
vast majority of nations do support France's position, including Germany, Russia, China, Canada, and
most others..."Gocycle", you "target" France, you are wrong, you should rather target over 100
nations over the World opposed to the present invasion war, which is not a "liberation" war, but a
"political" and "economical" war...

Boycotting French tires ?!??...what to say?... :-( ...Gocycle, you "great patriot", may be you
should also boycott or ban German made Continental , or Chinese made bicycle components, or most
SRAM components buildt in France or Germany ???...maybe you should buy only "american made"
products, because most nations worldwide do not support at all Mr. Bush's war ... sorry.

So...I apologize to all for my present comment, which is not about "cycling" ...but I had to react
to Gocycle's silly "question" .

Better leave politics to politicians....and let's talk "peacefull" cycling !

J. Ouellet

Quebec-Canada

"GoCycle" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
[email protected]...
> I is time to purchase numerous tires as the long winter has ended.
>
> I would prefer not to purchase French made tires. Can somebody please list tires manufactured in
> another country that is of good quality? Thank you, Luigi

scottw44 wrote:
>
> Ya know, every one has a right to support or not support any country or product they want.
>
> just my .02, but if someone does or doesn't want to support a Frnch product, they should have the
> free will to do without being called names, abused, etc.

If someone wants to have a silly opinion, it's their right to do so. However, it's not very smart to
post it on Usenet. Usenet has a well-deserved reputation for brutal honesty.

People who want to maintain their blissful ignorance - or their ignorant bliss - should ask their
questions in some other forum.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Michael James Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This is for you Southern Californians. My wife is experiencing a bit of knee pain, and I am not
> sure if she is 100% properly fit on her bike. I am trying to find the best bike fitter in the
> business from L.A. to San Diego, but preferably in Orange County.
>
> I just read in the Velo News Buyers Guide issue about some very high tech bike fitting. Not that
> that is necessary, but I am looking for someone who REALLY puts forth a strong effort into fitting
> a person.
>
> Thanks for the help. Michael

In keeping with recent threads, I blame the French, but before you go to the expense of a bike
fitter, you might want to try the triad of easy adjustments that can help knee pain:

raise the seat, move the seat fore-aft, and adjust the cleat position on the shoe.

The first one is obvious: the higher the seat, the easier on your knee. The limit is that you can go
too high and not be able to pedal properly, or will start 'ankling' inadvertently like I did, which
is bad for the Achilles tendon.

The second one is subtle, and I don't understand the details of how fore-aft adjustments really
interact with knee flexion; my approach was to get it pretty close and move fore-aft for a
comfortable pedal stroke.

The third one is a big deal: after I had a problem with my Achilles tendon, I moved my cleats
backward on the shoe. This had a major effect on the feel, and required a seat-height
adjustment as well.

I fight with knee problemse, so much so that I cannot and will not jog for exercise, and am very
sensitive to some bike-fit issues, so I feel your wife's pain. But I think a little tweaking of seat
height and fore-aft position should get you into the swing of things.

Oh, one more thing: knee pain can be caused by poor cleat alignment, too. That's pretty easy to
check, but is dependent on cleat type. If she's using a zero-float design, that could be it
right there.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

My Dear Canadian-French Cyclist,

I merely stated my buying preference without resorting to outward political implications for reasons
which I would rather keep to myself.

Therefore, please respect my question which I reserve the right to post. My preferences are MY OWN
preferences. Again, I prefer not to entertain the spendingof monies on French-Made tires.

Thank You

LUIGI

> So...I apologize to all for my present comment, which is not about "cycling" ...but I had to react
> to Gocycle's silly "question" .
>
> Better leave politics to politicians....and let's talk "peacefull" cycling !
>
> J. Ouellet
>
> Quebec-Canada

>
>
> "GoCycle" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
> [email protected]...
> > I is time to purchase numerous tires as the long winter has ended.
> >
> > I would prefer not to purchase French made tires. Can somebody please list tires manufactured in
> > another country that is of good quality? Thank you, Luigi

I'm in total agreement... Yes, there are plenty of good contributions from the French. Yes, they
make some good/great products. "Make" or market products made in Taiwan, etc. Yes, I am
disappointed that their national stance is contrary to the U.S. position. They have a history of
political decisions which have not helped the US or our allies (aside from the current situation,
including supplying the Iraqi regime with goods and services, there was the Libya incident, and
perhaps others).

Now I will express my disagreement with their national policy by altering my personal financial
policy to not support their economy. No, it may not make much of a difference, but perhaps enough
for some people of influence to cause some change. I like Michelin tires. I would love a Look
frameset. I won't buy either (tough on that second one...) No Yoplait yogurt, etc.

Everyone has a right to an opinion. It's not likely that anyone will change another persons opinion,
especially via this forum.

Go ride and forget about it!

"GoCycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> I would prefer not to purchase French made tires. Can somebody please list tires manufactured in
> another country that is of good quality? Thank you, Luigi

GoCycle <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> another country that is of good quality?

Yes, imagine having the temerity to stand up to US hegemony.

Should I boycott US products in retaliation for the steel tariffs? After all I come from a steel
making town?

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

Eileen Olson, erowheels She's up in Orange Co. Go check out http://www.ib-racing.org/ for a link to
her email/website. She'd done bunches of fits for the guys I know.

Mike

"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Michael James Anderson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > This is for you Southern Californians. My wife is experiencing a bit of knee pain, and I am not
> > sure if she is 100% properly fit on her bike. I am trying to find the best bike fitter in the
> > business from L.A. to San Diego, but preferably in Orange County.
> >
> > I just read in the Velo News Buyers Guide issue about some very high
tech
> > bike fitting. Not that that is necessary, but I am looking for someone who REALLY puts forth a
> > strong effort into fitting a person.
> >
> > Thanks for the help. Michael
>
> In keeping with recent threads, I blame the French, but before you go to the expense of a bike
> fitter, you might want to try the triad of easy adjustments that can help knee pain:
>
> raise the seat, move the seat fore-aft, and adjust the cleat position on the shoe.
>
> The first one is obvious: the higher the seat, the easier on your knee. The limit is that you can
> go too high and not be able to pedal properly, or will start 'ankling' inadvertently like I did,
> which is bad for the Achilles tendon.
>
> The second one is subtle, and I don't understand the details of how fore-aft adjustments really
> interact with knee flexion; my approach was to get it pretty close and move fore-aft for a
> comfortable pedal stroke.
>
> The third one is a big deal: after I had a problem with my Achilles tendon, I moved my cleats
> backward on the shoe. This had a major effect on the feel, and required a seat-height adjustment
> as well.
>
> I fight with knee problemse, so much so that I cannot and will not jog for exercise, and am very
> sensitive to some bike-fit issues, so I feel your wife's pain. But I think a little tweaking of
> seat height and fore-aft position should get you into the swing of things.
>
> Oh, one more thing: knee pain can be caused by poor cleat alignment, too. That's pretty easy to
> check, but is dependent on cleat type. If she's using a zero-float design, that could be it
> right there.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

> The third one is a big deal: after I had a problem with my Achilles tendon, I moved my cleats
> backward on the shoe. This had a major effect on the feel, and required a seat-height adjustment
> as well.

You would be amazed (or perhaps, in your case, not!) how many knee issues are solved by simply
moving the cleat back. I've dealt with customers who have spent good money seeing sports therapists
to deal with their knees, some who've even had surgery, and then they stumble into a bike shop that
solves the problem with an allen wrench.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Michael James Anderson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > This is for you Southern Californians. My wife is experiencing a bit of knee pain, and I am not
> > sure if she is 100% properly fit on her bike. I am trying to find the best bike fitter in the
> > business from L.A. to San Diego, but preferably in Orange County.
> >
> > I just read in the Velo News Buyers Guide issue about some very high
tech
> > bike fitting. Not that that is necessary, but I am looking for someone who REALLY puts forth a
> > strong effort into fitting a person.
> >
> > Thanks for the help. Michael
>
> In keeping with recent threads, I blame the French, but before you go to the expense of a bike
> fitter, you might want to try the triad of easy adjustments that can help knee pain:
>
> raise the seat, move the seat fore-aft, and adjust the cleat position on the shoe.
>
> The first one is obvious: the higher the seat, the easier on your knee. The limit is that you can
> go too high and not be able to pedal properly, or will start 'ankling' inadvertently like I did,
> which is bad for the Achilles tendon.
>
> The second one is subtle, and I don't understand the details of how fore-aft adjustments really
> interact with knee flexion; my approach was to get it pretty close and move fore-aft for a
> comfortable pedal stroke.
>
> as well.
>
> I fight with knee problemse, so much so that I cannot and will not jog for exercise, and am very
> sensitive to some bike-fit issues, so I feel your wife's pain. But I think a little tweaking of
> seat height and fore-aft position should get you into the swing of things.
>
> Oh, one more thing: knee pain can be caused by poor cleat alignment, too. That's pretty easy to
> check, but is dependent on cleat type. If she's using a zero-float design, that could be it
> right there.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

> They may be made in portugal, but they are the original sedis chains, and aaaaannnnyyy connection
> to the French is bad!!!

Which helps to explain why so much of the world is against us now. Our ties to the French are as
strong as our ties to the British, biggest difference being that, without help from the French at
Yorktown, the US might not have won the War of Independence, while the British burned the White
House and Capitol in 1812.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > The third one is a big deal: after I had a problem with my Achilles tendon, I moved my cleats
> > backward on the shoe. This had a major effect on the feel, and required a seat-height adjustment
> > as well.
>
> You would be amazed (or perhaps, in your case, not!) how many knee issues are solved by simply
> moving the cleat back. I've dealt with customers who have spent good money seeing sports
> therapists to deal with their knees, some who've even had surgery, and then they stumble into a
> bike shop that solves the problem with an allen wrench.

Indeed. I think it was after reading Sheldon Brown's theories on cleat positioning that I moved
towards his "way back" theory. I now have my cleats as far back as they will go (could instep cleat
mounts be the next hot trend?) in an effort to remove my ankle from doing much flexing.

I'm interested that the knee issues would also be solve by this, though. I wasn't really fighting
with knee issues when I moved my cleats, and one of the compromises is that when I moved my cleats
back, I felt the need to slightly drop my seat to get everything back in shape. Perhaps for people
suffering knee problems because of a slightly too-low seat, the cleat adjustment puts them about
where they should be.

Whatever the reason, I'm now a convert to the rear-mounted cleats.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

<cut>

> I must correct myself. The Mrs. says my tires are made in Thailand.
Oops.

<cut>

With machines shipped over there from Italy and under Italian supervision. Just FYI. And btw this
thread is ridiculous: as an Italian, should I not buy Continental tires because Germans supported
Mussolini in WWII? Just the idea of this thread must come from a moron. Ciao Luca

"GoCycle" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> My Dear Canadian-French Cyclist,
>
> I merely stated my buying preference without resorting to outward political implications for
> reasons which I would rather keep to myself.
>
> Therefore, please respect my question which I reserve the right to post. My preferences are MY OWN
> preferences. Again, I prefer not to entertain the spendingof monies on French-Made tires.
>
> Thank You
>
> LUIGI

But the money you spend go to an US distributor, so you are also damaging you own economy...
MORON!!! Ciao Luca

"Luca Magnoni" <l u c a . m a g n o n i @ t i n . i t> wrote in message

> Just FYI. And btw this thread is ridiculous: as an Italian, should I not buy Continental tires
> because Germans supported Mussolini in WWII?

There is a difference of 60 years of course. At the time it would have been pretty justifiable.

But then, what has France actually done? Slowing the progress of global democracy by voicing the
opinion of its people?

> Just the idea of this thread must come from a moron.

GoCycle wrote:
> another country that is of good quality?
European cycle tire companies moved a big part of their production to far east during the last
years. You you might have a hard time to find a tire 'Made in France'. The Continental Goliath I
bought in '98 are 'Made in Germany', the ones I bought last year are 'Made in Thailand'. Are
Michelin and Hutchinson still 'Made in France'? I'd rather doubt.

High quality bicycle parts for sport and touring applications are made by small companies (or
subdivisions of bigger companies that are supposed to be profit centers of their own) with
negligible influence on a countries economical situation. It is quite unfair to blame these
companies for things they can't do anything about.

For cyclists it is essential to have to possibility to have the choice between different brands when
looking for the part that exactly meets their needs. So you should support the company that makes
the best tire for your application. By buying the products of small companies (and by supporting
your LBS) you can ensure that you will have the choice between different brands (and local service)
also in the future.

If you want to make the world a better place: Don't buy gasoline from countries like Saudi Arabia,
Nigeria, or Venezuela. Unlike France they did not contribute much to human rights or democracy in
the past two centuries.

best wishes

Guenther

"W K" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio news:[email protected]...
>
> "Luca Magnoni" <l u c a . m a g n o n i @ t i n . i t> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Just FYI. And btw this thread is ridiculous: as an Italian, should I not buy Continental tires
> > because Germans supported Mussolini in WWII?
>
> There is a difference of 60 years of course. At the time it would have
been
> pretty justifiable.

Justifiable is not synonimous with "intelligent"

> But then, what has France actually done? Slowing the progress of global democracy

yeah... the democracy of the bombs... beautiful!

> by voicing the opinion of its people?

80% of the Europeans are against the war. If the French and German governments are the only two who
dare to say it, that's another story. Open your eyes, there's something called "world" outside the
US. And it doesn't necessarily always agree with what Mr Bush decides. I know that it hurts your
idea of "best nation in the world" to hear that somebody doesn't agree with the war, but here, in
Europe we *don't*. Luca

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

>But then, what has France actually done? Slowing the progress of global democracy by voicing the
>opinion of its people?

Actually, in the opinion of many, they're blocking the enforcement of a UN resolution to disarm Iraq
that should have not been turned into a political issue. A lot of the world felt that 12 years of
non-compliance was plenty.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

>"GoCycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I is time to purchase numerous tires as the long winter has ended.
>>
>> I would prefer not to purchase French made tires. Can somebody please list tires manufactured in
>> another country that is of good quality?

How about Vredestein?

tim

"Mark Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >But then, what has France actually done? Slowing the progress of global democracy by voicing the
> >opinion of
its
> >people?
>
> Actually, in the opinion of many, they're blocking the enforcement of a UN resolution to disarm
> Iraq that should have not been turned into a political issue. A lot of the world felt that 12
> years of non-compliance was plenty.

Speaking of weapons of mass destruction . . . . I would hate to be G.W. if we don't find some soon.
I hope one of those armored divisions is carrying some throw-down weapons of mass destruction just
in case. If we are just there to boot a despot, we have our work cut out for us elsewhere in the
world. Nigeria has lots of oil and an unstable government, and all those stupid get rich quick
e-mail schemes. Let's go there next. -- Jay Beattie.

Status
Not open for further replies.