General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Non Gumbo

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 43 posts · 395 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 March 2007
Last activity
4 April 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
395
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. sf said:
    J.R. said:
    email hidden said:

    I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
    at how attractive and prolific the plant is. now find myself with a
    surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
    just giving it away is a waste.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    David


    Make spicey pickles with them, they're especially good with bloody
    marys.

    I can't begin to tell you how gross that sounds.

    Oh they're so good! Just don't cook them first.

  2. Goomba38 said:
    modom (palindrome guy) said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Make spicey pickles with them, they're especially good with bloody
    > marys.
    I can't begin to tell you how gross that sounds.

    Actually, they're very good.
    --

    modom

    I love the Hot Pickled Okra from Texas on can buy in the jars! Eating a
    half dozen at sitting is very easy to do.

    I miss being able to buy those...

  3. Goomba38 said:
    ravenlynne said:
    Quoted message said:

    I love the Hot Pickled Okra from Texas on can buy in the jars! Eating
    a half dozen at sitting is very easy to do.

    I miss being able to buy those...

    The commissary sold them in Germany years ago. Check the pickle aisle.

    They haven't had them since I've been here. And I've been looking.
    I've been buying the garlic mix with the pickles, carrots and
    cauliflower. I'm gonna keep the juice and add more cauliflower to it.
    Love that stuff.

  4. ravenlynne said:
    Goomba38 said:
    ravenlynne said:

    > I love the Hot Pickled Okra from Texas on can buy in the jars! Eating
    > a half dozen at sitting is very easy to do.

    I miss being able to buy those...

    The commissary sold them in Germany years ago. Check the pickle aisle.

    They haven't had them since I've been here. And I've been looking.
    I've been buying the garlic mix with the pickles, carrots and
    cauliflower. I'm gonna keep the juice and add more cauliflower to it.
    Love that stuff.

    You could order some. The shipping may be prohibitive though.

    http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html

    These are the best pickled okra I have ever had.

    jay

  5. Quoted message said:

    I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
    at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
    surplus

    Grill 'em. Salt and pepper and some molasses or honey. You won't believe
    how good they are grilled.

    Here is a picture of them prior to grilling.

    http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e17/billyjeanking/?action=view&current=okra.jpg

    jay

  6. Serene-O-Matic said:
    jmcquown said:

    The only way to enjoy okra outside as a natural thickener in gumbo
    is fried okra. It's simply nasty any other way.

    Have you roasted it? I was surprised at how good it was.

    Serene

    No, but I avoid it at all costs.

  7. "raymond" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    email hidden said:

    I grew okra for the first time this year and I am pleasantly surprised
    at how attractive and prolific the plant is. I now find myself with a
    surplus and none of the neighbours have any idea what to do with it so
    just giving it away is a waste. I don't have much experience with it,
    what can I make aside from gumbo?

    I know I can google for 10000 recipes but often these are just copied
    around indefinitely with no indication their value. I am hoping for
    recommendations from those who actually cook and enjoy okra not those
    who reproduce recipes :-)

    Supplementary question. If you fail to cut them when young, this can
    be a matter of one or two days more on the bush, the larger pods get
    rather fibrous and full of seeds. Is there any common use for these
    (other than compost) that avoids the rough texture?

    David

    These are recipes I make regularly in the summertime. I don't have a
    garden, but okra is plentiful and cheap at our local farmer's market.

    My father taught me to mash the okra pod between my thumb and
    forefinger and if the pod cracks or splits then it's compost. If it
    doesn't, then I use it.

    The first, okra patties, is our favorite and I make it on on a griddle
    on my grill. I make the second, grilled okra, when I'm not in the mood
    to bother with okra patties. Pickled okra is good with sandwiches and
    salads.

    Okra Patties


    Clipped>
    --------------

    Quoted message said:


    Grilled (or broiled) Okra


    Clipped>

    Quoted message said:

    Quick Pickled Okra


    Clipped>

    Thanks for the interesting recipes. I can think of a couple spices to add
    to the patties, separately of course - a Greek lemon blend, hot chile or
    chipotle blend, and of course a curry.
    I love making okra pickles and my family eats them up like candy, stem end
    and all. I use a 6:1 cider vinegar to water and my homemade pickling spice.
    Or instead of the spice, use a coupla garlic cloves or a halved shallot.
    With or without salt in the recipe they are very good. I also add just a
    touch of local honey - about a teaspoonful or two per jar. Don't want it
    sweet necessarily, but it adds a certain perfume that I like. And a hot
    chile pepper to some jars.
    Cooked okra is soothing to the stomach. I learned to pick and use okra
    that was as tender as the end of my plump nose.
    Edrena

  8. On 25 Mar 2007 08:27:43 -0700, "Lin" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Christine will be in town tomorrow night and the place I plan on
    taking her for barbecue does a good job with okra.

    --Lin

    I'm envious! You girls have a great time :-)

    TammyM, never had REAL 'Q

  9. (TammyM) said:

    On 25 Mar 2007 08:27:43 -0700, "Lin" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Christine will be in town tomorrow night and the place I plan on
    taking her for barbecue does a good job with okra.

    --Lin

    I'm envious! You girls have a great time :-)

    TammyM, never had REAL 'Q

    Hmm..I somehow missed the original of this note...

    Fried okra, or some other way? If it is fried, you *might* get me to
    try it.......LOL

    We will have a great time, Tammy. We are going to talk about everyone
    and be mean to everyone by proxy. 😉

    Christine, who isn't sure if Lin will get the being mean part.

  10. ravenlynne said:
    Goomba38 said:
    ravenlynne said:

    > I love the Hot Pickled Okra from Texas on can buy in the jars!
    > Eating a half dozen at sitting is very easy to do.

    I miss being able to buy those...

    The commissary sold them in Germany years ago. Check the pickle
    aisle.

    They haven't had them since I've been here. And I've been looking.
    I've been buying the garlic mix with the pickles, carrots and
    cauliflower. I'm gonna keep the juice and add more cauliflower to it.
    Love that stuff.

    We always add garlic to our leftover pickle juice. :~)

    kili

  11. jay said:

    You could order some. The shipping may be prohibitive though.

    http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html

    These are the best pickled okra I have ever had.

    jay

    SHipping costs would only need to be to NY, as Italy uses an APO address.

  12. On Mar 25, 10:01 am, "modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom>

    Quoted message said:

    Mature pods are too fibrous -- as you noted -- for good eating. We
    used to let them dry and my mom made decorative arrangements with
    them. It was a 60s thing, I guess.
    --
    modom

    Heh! It was also a 2006 thing, at least to one friend of mine. She
    asked me last year to save and dry any too-big pods for her because
    she wanted to make an okra Christmas wreath. Gave her the pods, but
    didn't see the wreath. I can imagine the rattling when she opened the
    front door. :-)

    David

  13. Christine Dabney said:
    (TammyM) said:

    On 25 Mar 2007 08:27:43 -0700, "Lin" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Christine will be in town tomorrow night and the place I plan on
    taking her for barbecue does a good job with okra.

    --Lin

    I'm envious! You girls have a great time :-)

    TammyM, never had REAL 'Q

    Hmm..I somehow missed the original of this note...

    Fried okra, or some other way? If it is fried, you *might* get me to
    try it.......LOL

    We will have a great time, Tammy. We are going to talk about everyone
    and be mean to everyone by proxy. 😉

    Christine, who isn't sure if Lin will get the being mean part.

    She won't, she hasn't been around long enough. That don't mean you
    can't edumacate her :-)

    You know enough of us that you can be mean in style! Go for it,but
    take notes and share later....

    TammyM

  14. Goomba38 said:
    jay said:

    You could order some. The shipping may be prohibitive though.

    http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html

    These are the best pickled okra I have ever had.

    jay

    SHipping costs would only need to be to NY, as Italy uses an APO address.

    Wait.. Her husband is with the Navy. Scratch that "APO" and make it "FPO
    NY" instead. Either way, it shouldn't be *that* costly to NY. Would she
    have to order a case though?

  15. Goomba38 said:
    modom (palindrome guy) said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Make spicey pickles with them, they're especially good with bloody
    > marys.
    I can't begin to tell you how gross that sounds.

    Actually, they're very good.
    --

    modom

    I love the Hot Pickled Okra from Texas on can buy in the jars! Eating a
    half dozen at sitting is very easy to do.

    They are very stylish and tasty as a garnish for drinks, e.g a martooni or
    whatever...

    Years ago when I was canning I used to pickle my own, several people always
    put in an "order" for them to use specifically as a cocktail garnish...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  16. Goomba38 said:
    Goomba38 said:
    jay said:

    You could order some. The shipping may be prohibitive though.

    http://www.talkotexas.com/products.html

    These are the best pickled okra I have ever had.

    jay

    SHipping costs would only need to be to NY, as Italy uses an APO address.

    Wait.. Her husband is with the Navy. Scratch that "APO" and make it "FPO
    NY" instead. Either way, it shouldn't be *that* costly to NY. Would she
    have to order a case though?

    You can order 6 16oz jars for 15.95 or 2 for 6.95.

    jay

  17. Serene-O-Matic said:
    jmcquown said:

    The only way to enjoy okra outside as a natural thickener in gumbo is fried
    okra. It's simply nasty any other way.

    Have you roasted it? I was surprised at how good it was.

    Serene

    I agree. Also, my parents will sometimes cut it into rounds and
    slowly cook it in an iron skillet in a litle oil with garlic. They
    cook it way down till it gets caramelized. Saveur did a piece on this
    a few years ago. The recipe was called "scrambled okra." The results
    are nutty and sweet.
    --

    modom

    http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html

  18. Hi
    Gumbo challenged friend. I grow lots of okra. I guess being from Louisiana I
    have ate my share of okra. I can many,many jars of this each year. Fry,
    bake, or many other ways. Now try this:
    Equal parts of Okra and whole tomatoes. First cook some garlic, you decide
    how much you like. Then add a bit of onion, saute till tender, now add the
    okra, and the tomatoes. Cook slowly for about a hour on low heat. I also put
    corn in it sometimes, or bannana peppers. This served over white rice is
    wonderful

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    NEMR MEILLER said:

    Hi
    Gumbo challenged friend. I grow lots of okra. I guess being from Louisiana I
    have ate my share of okra. I can many,many jars of this each year. Fry,
    bake, or many other ways. Now try this:
    Equal parts of Okra and whole tomatoes. First cook some garlic, you decide
    how much you like. Then add a bit of onion, saute till tender, now add the
    okra, and the tomatoes. Cook slowly for about a hour on low heat. I also put
    corn in it sometimes, or bannana peppers. This served over white rice is
    wonderful

    Oh gods... Mom used to combine sliced okra, tomatoes and onions too as a
    side dish.

    It's wonderful!
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  20. When they're still small, we eat them raw. From almost birth, I ate raw
    veggies out in the garden .... still do. Peas, asparagus, tomatoes, beans
    .... not root vegetables, of course. My mother used to boil asparagus to
    death and I thought I hated it until I had it tender-crisp and then tried it
    raw.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.