Non QR versions of Chris King ISO front hubs?

Duncan Smith

Guest
I'm looking for a disc brake solution for my racer/cyclocross bike,
and as such am in the marker for a 100mm ISO front hub which is built
to last.

Chris King is in the front, but they all seem to be QR - I'm a bit of
fan of Tracknuts if only because they rarely work loose on their own,
and deter casual/kiddie thieves when leaving the bike parked down
town.

Anyone seen any CK hubs with fittings for track-nuts, or can recommend
a suitable product?

Regards,

Duncan.

On Feb 19, 4:04 pm, "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a disc brake solution for my racer/cyclocross bike,
> and as such am in the marker for a 100mm ISO front hub which is built
> to last.
>
> Chris King is in the front, but they all seem to be QR - I'm a bit of
> fan of Tracknuts if only because they rarely work loose on their own,
> and deter casual/kiddie thieves when leaving the bike parked down
> town.
>
> Anyone seen any CK hubs with fittings for track-nuts, or can recommend
> a suitable product?
>
> Regards,
>
> Duncan.

You can buy non-QR skewers for any regular front hub. They'll deter
casual thieves. By the way, if you go this route, you could save a
bunch of money and just get a Shimano disc hub. It will probably be
more reliable (easier and cheaper to service) than the King, but it
won't be as sexy.

If you're set on cartridge bearings, what about a Phil Wood track
hub? They're bolt-on.

-Vee

Vee wrote:
> On Feb 19, 4:04 pm, "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a disc brake solution for my racer/cyclocross bike,
>> and as such am in the marker for a 100mm ISO front hub which is built
>> to last.
>>
>> Chris King is in the front, but they all seem to be QR - I'm a bit of
>> fan of Tracknuts if only because they rarely work loose on their own,
>> and deter casual/kiddie thieves when leaving the bike parked down
>> town.
>>
>> Anyone seen any CK hubs with fittings for track-nuts, or can
>> recommend a suitable product?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Duncan.

> You can buy non-QR skewers for any regular front hub. They'll deter
> casual thieves. By the way, if you go this route, you could save a
> bunch of money and just get a Shimano disc hub. It will probably be
> more reliable (easier and cheaper to service) than the King, but it
> won't be as sexy.
>
> If you're set on cartridge bearings, what about a Phil Wood track
> hub? They're bolt-on.

But not disc-compatible.

--
Phil

On Feb 20, 5:29 am, "Vee" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 4:04 pm, "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a disc brake solution for my racer/cyclocross bike,
> > and as such am in the marker for a 100mm ISO front hub which is built
> > to last.

> > Chris King is in the front, but they all seem to be QR - I'm a bit of
> > fan of Tracknuts if only because they rarely work loose on their own,
> > and deter casual/kiddie thieves when leaving the bike parked down
> > town.

> > Anyone seen any CK hubs with fittings for track-nuts, or can recommend
> > a suitable product?

> > Regards,

> > Duncan.

> You can buy non-QR skewers for any regular front hub. They'll deter
> casual thieves. By the way, if you go this route, you could save a
> bunch of money and just get a Shimano disc hub. It will probably be
> more reliable (easier and cheaper to service) than the King, but it
> won't be as sexy.
>
> If you're set on cartridge bearings, what about a Phil Wood track
> hub? They're bolt-on.
>
> -Vee

Yes, with Shimano you'll save money, but it will not be as reliable or
easier to service. There is a reason King has its following and can
get the price they do.

On Feb 20, 5:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 20, 5:29 am, "Vee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 19, 4:04 pm, "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm looking for a disc brake solution for my racer/cyclocross bike,
> > > and as such am in the marker for a 100mm ISO front hub which is built
> > > to last.

> > > Chris King is in the front, but they all seem to be QR - I'm a bit of
> > > fan of Tracknuts if only because they rarely work loose on their own,
> > > and deter casual/kiddie thieves when leaving the bike parked down
> > > town.

> > > Anyone seen any CK hubs with fittings for track-nuts, or can recommend
> > > a suitable product?

> > > Regards,

> > > Duncan.

> > You can buy non-QR skewers for any regular front hub. They'll deter
> > casual thieves. By the way, if you go this route, you could save a
> > bunch of money and just get a Shimano disc hub. It will probably be
> > more reliable (easier and cheaper to service) than the King, but it
> > won't be as sexy.

> > If you're set on cartridge bearings, what about a Phil Wood track
> > hub? They're bolt-on.

> > -Vee

> Yes, with Shimano you'll save money, but it will not be as reliable or
> easier to service. There is a reason King has its following and can
> get the price they do.

For front hubs, the only advantages King has are color choices and
light weight. From my experience with both, I can't see any other
reason to go with King in front.

-Vee