Non riding friend pi**ed me off today

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 08 Jul 2003 13:10:02 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:
>
> >Well bicycling has a major health advantage and it is relatively cheap
compared
> >to drinking, wild women, drugs or, ever worse, golf!!
>
> Every day I thank the Powers that Be that fortune has smiled on me such that I can choose F: All
> of the above.

Testify!!

From: RattRigg ([email protected])

: Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh
: M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"

: When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted
: moment, at least not for me.

: I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I had lost 25 lbs, and that now
: I can actually walk up the stairs to my house without resting at the top. I also could have
: compared my own costs for riding to his costs for one of his more destructive obsessions but I did
: neither.

: still pi**ed off though.

: Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money better then me.

The best revenge is living well.

But if that's not enough; I like to interject, every time my auto-junkie aquaintenances who
consider a bike with unconcealed contempt, ***** & moan about skyrocketing car insurance rates how
much I pay [$0/year]. Every time they whine & complain about gas prices getting jacked up how much
I pay, [$0/litre]. Then if I really want to twist the knife I quietly comment how I hope
gas/insurance price double and triple again as I am invested heavily in said companies [doesn't
matter whether or not it's true or not. They won't know]

--

'Ooh I will make you a believer'

- Sass Jordan

That's true. Most 'Mart bikes aren't worth $200, and most LBS bikes cost (slightly) more that that.

Eric

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "RattRigg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes (Bianchi Volpe &
> > Raliegh M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"
> >
> > When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted
> > moment, at least not for me.
> >

> Overheard in *Mart: "There ain't NO bicycle in the world worth $200!"
>
> Pete

Hope you're not still ****** off... instead you should be really proud of yourself, and forget those ignorant remarks.

Originally posted by Rattrigg
Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh
M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"

When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted moment,
at least not for me.

I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I had lost 25 lbs, and that now I
can actually walk up the stairs to my house without resting at the top. I also could have compared
my own costs for riding to his costs for one of his more destructive obsessions but I did neither.

still pi**ed off though.

Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money better then me.

11 Jul 2003 14:01:33 +0950, <[email protected]>, Seecyd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hope you're not still ****** off... instead you should be really proud of yourself, and forget
>those ignorant remarks.
\szip
>Posted via cyclingforums.com

This is USENET, where ignorant remarks are neither forgotten nor forgiven. They're archived.
--
zk

How about you trash those archives then? negative archiving is not good for the cycling soul - LOL

Originally posted by Zoot Katz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hope you're not still ****** off... instead you should be really proud of yourself, and forget
>those ignorant remarks.
\szip
>Posted via cyclingforums.com

This is USENET, where ignorant remarks are neither forgotten nor forgiven. They're archived.
--
zk

About a year ago, I ditched the health club I belonged to when its annual family membership fees
approached $1,000 a year (and my kids had both left home to go to college) and took up cycling. I
use my bike to excercise while running errands to the store almost everyday, and commuting to work,
school or the library. By bicycling and not driving, I estimate I save about $520 a year in gas and
wear and tear on the car (more if you count parking fees). I've already repaid the price of my
Specialized Hardrock (used) and the modifications to it for commuting. Over the next 10 years, I
figure I'll save more than $15,200 just in health club dues and auto expenses. Maybe one of these
days I'll splurge, go hog wild, and trade up to a Co-Motion (I can't afford a Ferrari, but can
afford the Ferrari -- well, mabye the Mercedes Benz -- of bicycles). I'll still be up more than 12
grand. Tell your non riding friend to ponder that in all his smugness.

And the environmental benefits are for everybody.

David

[email protected] (RattRigg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh
> M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"
>

> When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted
> moment, at least not for me.

But he's right. Bicycles are YOUR 'crazy.'

He probably has his own 'crazy.' My friend spent thousands on fancy woodworking equipment so he
could build three (count 'em) Muskoka chairs for which the wood cost about the same as a
ready-made Muskoka chair. That's HIS 'crazy.'

He had a lot of fun and stayed out of his wife's hair.

(HER 'crazy' is a knitting machine which allows her to make sweaters for only three times what
store-bought sweaters would cost).

Everybody has their own crazy. You're just overly touchy about it.

"mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted
> > moment, at least not for me.
> >
> But he's right. Bicycles are YOUR 'crazy.'
>
> He probably has his own 'crazy.' My friend spent thousands on fancy woodworking equipment so
> he could build three (count 'em) Muskoka chairs for which the wood cost about the same as a
> ready-made Muskoka chair. That's HIS 'crazy.'
>
> He had a lot of fun and stayed out of his wife's hair.
>
> Everybody has their own crazy. You're just overly touchy about it.

Excellent post. Assuming one has taken care of the necessities: food, clothing, shelter, insurance,
etc. there's some disposable income for entertainment / indulgence. Bicycling is actually a pretty
cheap indulgence.

It helps if you have some idea what the "crazy" of your friend is, so you can respond with gentle
teasing in kind. It might be $10 worth of lottery tickets a week ($520 a year, expected loss $260
per year) Or, it might be a sportscar. Or a boat. Or imported beer instead of domestic. Or, eating
in a white-tablecloth restaurant once a week.

Even with bicycling, there are people like me who take a perverse pride in finding pieces of junk
and getting them to working order again, something that sometimes takes more $ in parts than the
bike is worth and involves lots of unpaid labor. Economically, this is crazy, but it's fun and a
great way to learn.

Yeah, well, I have a friend that goes on about how she hates bikes using the roads. She says, I know
that you ride but I just hate them. She lives just off a national bike route. Uh, cyclists are being
DIRECTED in your direction Susan...

mark freedman wrote:

> Everybody has their own crazy. You're just overly touchy about it.

My Italian father has a term for these, he calls them Le Dolci Manie, The Sweet Manias. Cycling is
definitely a Dolce Mania.

Cheers,

Elisa Roselli Paris, France

RattRigg wrote:

> Casual friend of mine is in the garage today, starts looking at my bikes (Bianchi Volpe & Raliegh
> M80) and asks how much I spent on "all this junk?"
>
> When I give him a rough number his reply was "Your crazy." It wasnt exactly a light hearted
> moment, at least not for me.
>
> I wish I had told hm that in the two years since I started riding I had lost 25 lbs, and that now
> I can actually walk up the stairs to my house without resting at the top. I also could have
> compared my own costs for riding to his costs for one of his more destructive obsessions but I did
> neither.
>
> still pi**ed off though.
>
> Seems like there is always some one around who can spend my money better then me.

No doubt your friend drives an automobile; ask how much auto insurance costs. Then inquire how much
he spent on couch potato trappings: stereo and tele. Avoid throwing his "You're crazy" back at him.
Instead, tell him, "Well, it seems we choose to spend our treasure at different shops."