Non road cycle routes around Ilkley/ West Yorks

MrMoosehead

Guest
OK. Anyone suggest any easy non road routes ( not Offfroad as in
singletrack etc) within reasonably easy reach of Ilkley

Want to take #1 son out on the tag along some more - took him up onto
danefield side of the Chevin which was good fun - surprising what you
can get up (and down) on an MTB and a tag along with gears. }:8)

Looking for disused railway / reservoirs / foresty commission tracks.
Y'know the sort of thing.

TIA.
M. #

MrMoosehead wrote:
> OK. Anyone suggest any easy non road routes ( not Offfroad as in
> singletrack etc) within reasonably easy reach of Ilkley
>
> Want to take #1 son out on the tag along some more - took him up onto
> danefield side of the Chevin which was good fun - surprising what you
> can get up (and down) on an MTB and a tag along with gears. }:8)
>
> Looking for disused railway / reservoirs / foresty commission tracks.
> Y'know the sort of thing.
>
> TIA.
> M. #

If you visit/contact JD Cycles in Ilkley they may be able to assist with
some routes.

> http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/

Sam Salt

Sam Salt wrote:
> MrMoosehead wrote:
> > OK. Anyone suggest any easy non road routes ( not Offfroad as in
> > singletrack etc) within reasonably easy reach of Ilkley
> >
> > Want to take #1 son out on the tag along some more - took him up onto
> > danefield side of the Chevin which was good fun - surprising what you
> > can get up (and down) on an MTB and a tag along with gears. }:8)
> >
> > Looking for disused railway / reservoirs / foresty commission tracks.
> > Y'know the sort of thing.

> If you visit/contact JD Cycles in Ilkley they may be able to assist with
> some routes.
>
> > http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/

Ta.

"MrMoosehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK. Anyone suggest any easy non road routes ( not Offfroad as in
> singletrack etc) within reasonably easy reach of Ilkley
>
> Want to take #1 son out on the tag along some more - took him up onto
> danefield side of the Chevin which was good fun - surprising what you
> can get up (and down) on an MTB and a tag along with gears. }:8)
>
> Looking for disused railway / reservoirs / foresty commission tracks.
> Y'know the sort of thing.
>
> TIA.
> M. #

Have a look at some of the bridleways around Harewood. There is the private
road that runs from Harrogate Road past Eccup reservoir that comes out near
the dogs home, the only vehicles allowed on most of that road are YW
vehicles. There are a couple off-road routes from there that take you
around the Harewood Estate and past where Emmerdale is filmed.

Bernard wrote:
> "MrMoosehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > OK. Anyone suggest any easy non road routes ( not Offfroad as in
> > singletrack etc) within reasonably easy reach of Ilkley
> >

> > M. #

> Have a look at some of the bridleways around Harewood. There is the private
> road that runs from Harrogate Road past Eccup reservoir that comes out near
> the dogs home, the only vehicles allowed on most of that road are YW
> vehicles. There are a couple off-road routes from there that take you
> around the Harewood Estate and past where Emmerdale is filmed.

Oh yes, I know the ones. I've run up there. Thanks for reminding me.

"MrMoosehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Some scanning of the Orange OS maps in Waterstones might yeild some
>> suitable
>> routes.

> I have maps and can read them well, but they never give you clues as to
> the terrain of the track.

To be honest any likely looking track is likely to be rideable. I've not
come across one that isn't. The West Yorks Cycle Route passess through
Ilkley and has some off road sections if I recall correctly. Have a gander
at the following web site for some local cycle routes.

http://www.cycletransport-westyorks.co.uk/maps_guides.htm

-=V=-

vernon levy wrote:
> "MrMoosehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Some scanning of the Orange OS maps in Waterstones might yeild some
> >> suitable
> >> routes.

> > I have maps and can read them well, but they never give you clues as to
> > the terrain of the track.
> >

> To be honest any likely looking track is likely to be rideable. I've not
> come across one that isn't.

It's more about whether they are rideable with a tagalong... }:8)