Non-standard Narrow bottom brackets?

Jim Martin

Guest
Hello All:

We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really
narrow bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use
narrow bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up
anything for me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom
brackets at Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?

Any one have suggestions where I might look?

Thanks,

Jim

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:22:35 -0600, Jim Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really
>narrow bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use
>narrow bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up
>anything for me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom
>brackets at Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?
>
>Any one have suggestions where I might look?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim

Dear Jim,

Sheldon has a list of some bottom bracket dimensions:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

The narrowest seem to be Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 double and Sugino RD
5-bolt single, both at 103 mm.

If you figure out how narrow you need, other posters can probably
help.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> Sheldon has a list of some bottom bracket dimensions:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
>
> The narrowest seem to be Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 double and Sugino RD
> 5-bolt single, both at 103 mm.
>
> If you figure out how narrow you need, other posters can probably
> help.

Thanks Carl. I was thinking REALLY narrow. Like half of normal. Anyone
seen anything like that? Maybe I should contact the HPV type guys?

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Martin wrote:
> We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really
> narrow bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use
> narrow bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up
> anything for me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom
> brackets at Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?

Phil can make up just about anything.

Narrow as in BSC thread but smaller than 68mm wide?
Or narrow as in a square taper spindle shorter than 102mm overall?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Jim Martin wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really
> narrow bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use
> narrow bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up
> anything for me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom
> brackets at Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?
>
> Any one have suggestions where I might look?

I have it on the authority of a movie recently released to DVD that
washing machines are good sources for narrow BB bearings. Get out your
hacksaw and have at it!

Mark J.

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really narrow
> bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use narrow
> bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up anything for
> me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom brackets at
> Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?

I surfed to this page a day or two ago:

http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/qfactor/qfactor.htm

James Thomson

On Oct 10, 8:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:22:35 -0600, Jim Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello All:

> >We have a project in my lab in which we would like to use a really
> >narrow bottom bracket. I have been told that some recumbents might use
> >narrow bottom brackets but a lot of Google searching did not turn up
> >anything for me. I have a vague recollection of seeing narrow bottom
> >brackets at Interbike years ago. Maybe Phil Wood?

> >Any one have suggestions where I might look?

> >Thanks,

> >Jim

> Dear Jim,
>
> Sheldon has a list of some bottom bracket dimensions:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
>
> The narrowest seem to be Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 double and Sugino RD
> 5-bolt single, both at 103 mm.
>
> If you figure out how narrow you need, other posters can probably
> help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Actually, Campagnolo Record/Chorus are 102mm...