Non TT Bikes for TOC Prologue?

jonathanburris

Sep 16, 2006
Why do some riders use a regular road bike on time trials? For example, I just saw Michael Rasmussen ride his normal bike. Is it because of the climb at the end, the short distance, or some other reason?

Just curious,

JB

jonathanburris said:
Why do some riders use a regular road bike on time trials? For example, I just saw Michael Rasmussen ride his normal bike. Is it because of the climb at the end, the short distance, or some other reason?

Just curious,

JB
i don´t thik rassmusen care about the prolog in toc. the top gc rider for toc will probaly ride a tt bike

jonathanburris said:

Just curious,

JB
He doesn't have money for regular, custom-made, tt bike:D :D :D

It's a very short prologue (3.1k), it also has a hill in it. Therefore a full TT bike isn't going to give you that much of an edge and so if you're not looking to win there's no point in going the full hog of riding a TT bike, might as well put some profile bars on you're road bike and go, probably lighter that way.

Prologue also has some pretty tight corners, TT bike's don't handle as well as road bikes.

If he was riding for someone else on his team, and was just in it for the early season training, there wouldnt be much point. Modern day road bikes are pretty aero anyways.

Because of his propensity to Bjarne Riis his TT machines...recall the stage 20 ITT TdF?

bobke said:
Because of his propensity to Bjarne Riis his TT machines...recall the stage 20 ITT TdF?
:D :D :D :D

that was the first image in my brain too....

there's a real TT later in the race - if he wrecked all his TT bikes in the prologue where'd he be then

jonathanburris said:

Just curious,

JB

They just don't care. There's zero chance of being eliminated, there's zero chance they're going to take the prologue podium, there's a slightly bigger chance they'll crash on a TT bike, they're not going to be going all out physically so why bother going all out on equipment?

Every time a rider went by without a TT bike or without a pain face on, we joked that he was saving it for the sprint tomorrow.

dsc_0128.jpg

The prologue contained a rather big climb that took up over 2 minutes of the TT. Advantages for a road bike would be weight, handling, comfort and maybe stiffness. Advantages for a road bike seemed to outweigh the advantages for a TT bike for some people.

You can be pretty aero on a road bike with a skinsuit, TT helmet, overshoes, deep rims etc. Pesronally I would rather be on a roady for a hilly, tight, prologue like that! It would be nice if you were from CSC then your soloist/zipps have the aero qualities of a TT bike anyway! :D

Adam hansen, (aussie gun) placed 6th for T-Mobile on a road bike. Hopefully he wasn't just saving his legs for the sprint 2morra or the field could be in for it!

If you dont like his wisdom go on to weightweenies and grouch at him over there. His username is Zakeen btw. hangs out in the Road forum.