Non-wobbly hub

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Keith Willoughby, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Bought a new axle (Cycle Doctor in Porth, very pleasant bloke)

    Took me ten minutes to fit.

    Took me, oh, I dunno, 90 minutes to adjust correctly. I think I put the
    wheel on the bike 6 times all told. First couple of times, the axle
    wasn't in the right place. Next couple of times, I wasn't compressing
    the stays and the QR skewer enough to enable me to screw the QS on. The
    penultimate time, I managed to end up with a wobbly hub again! The last
    time, I couldn't engage the smallest cog properly. I assumed I'd got the
    axle alignment wrong. That's probably the case, but the actual reason
    that it wouldn't go on to the small cog was that the screw that holds on
    my rack was fouling the chain. I'm guessing it was a millimeter away
    before, and the cog is a millimetre closer to it now. There's no way,
    however, that I'm adjusting that damned axle again, so I stuck another
    washer on the rack screw :)

    Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for having done something
    mechanical for the first time in my life. I'm also quite pleased with
    myself for having bought disposable latex gloves before I
    started. Damned good things.

    Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

    Tags:

  2. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Keith Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bought a new axle (Cycle Doctor in Porth, very pleasant bloke)
    >
    > Took me ten minutes to fit.

    Congratulations!

    > Took me, oh, I dunno, 90 minutes to adjust correctly.

    The beauty is that by the 50th time you do the job it'll work first time :)

    > Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for having done something
    > mechanical for the first time in my life.

    Great!

    > I'm also quite pleased with
    > myself for having bought disposable latex gloves before I
    > started. Damned good things.

    I'm not saying anything about latex, I've had enough grief for one week.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:19:27 +0100, Keith Willoughby
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for having done something
    >mechanical for the first time in my life. I'm also quite pleased with
    >myself for having bought disposable latex gloves before I
    >started. Damned good things.

    There! Doesn't that feel good? Well done.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain