Non-wobbly hub

Keith Willoughb

Guest
Bought a new axle (Cycle Doctor in Porth, very
pleasant bloke)

Took me ten minutes to fit.

Took me, oh, I dunno, 90 minutes to adjust correctly. I
think I put the wheel on the bike 6 times all told. First
couple of times, the axle wasn't in the right place. Next
couple of times, I wasn't compressing the stays and the QR
skewer enough to enable me to screw the QS on. The
penultimate time, I managed to end up with a wobbly hub
again! The last time, I couldn't engage the smallest cog
properly. I assumed I'd got the axle alignment wrong. That's
probably the case, but the actual reason that it wouldn't go
on to the small cog was that the screw that holds on my rack
was fouling the chain. I'm guessing it was a millimeter away
before, and the cog is a millimetre closer to it now.
There's no way, however, that I'm adjusting that damned axle
again, so I stuck another washer on the rack screw :)

Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for having
done something mechanical for the first time in my life. I'm
also quite pleased with myself for having bought disposable
latex gloves before I started. Damned good things.

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ Smoking
cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

"Keith Willoughby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bought a new axle (Cycle Doctor in Porth, very
> pleasant bloke)
>
> Took me ten minutes to fit.

Congratulations!

> Took me, oh, I dunno, 90 minutes to adjust correctly.

The beauty is that by the 50th time you do the job it'll
work first time :)

> Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for having
> done something mechanical for the first time in my life.

Great!

> I'm also quite pleased with myself for having bought
> disposable latex gloves before I started. Damned
> good things.

I'm not saying anything about latex, I've had enough grief
for one week.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:19:27 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Still, feeling moderately chuffed with myself for
>having done something mechanical for the first time in
>my life. I'm also quite pleased with myself for having
>bought disposable latex gloves before I started. Damned
>good things.

There! Doesn't that feel good? Well done.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain