Noob Biker

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by catch20who, Jun 29, 2005.

1. catch20who

catch20who New Member

Hey, how are you all doing this fine evening?

I have a question about people's routines for biking/biking habits. I don't have any and am wondering if there are any common ones that I should pick up. Usually I bike wherever on my mountain bike (woods, streets, mostly streets and back streets). A long distance bike would probably do me better for my surroundings but I haven't saved up enough to buy one.

Anyway, after a half-hour or hour long ride what should I do in terms of eating/stretching/whatever else is good?

Sounds a bit like my mind is all over the place but I'm just looking for some new biker guidance.

Thanks

Tags:

2. astroluc

astroluc New Member

hello fellow noob... well, I am sort of a newbe since I have been out of the game for nigh on a decade; I second your querry.

3. bobr

bobr New Member

I'm another that falls into that category. Have been away from any serious cycling for nearly 10 years, and am now completely out of shape, so I've got quite a ways to go.

I sold my road bike years ago and have only a mountain bike ... but I'm thinking of changing that.

4. ouo

ouo New Member

My tips.

-Drink water periodically, especially if you're out on a longer ride or if its a hot day out. I usually start a ride off with a glass and finish my ride with a glass.

-Stretch out your leg muscles before and after cycling, especially if you haven't been on the bike for a few weeks.

-Check your tires before hitting the road, they shouldn't be rock hard, as that is overinflated and may cause tire problems later on.

-Don't eat a big meal right before you go, give the food time to settle.

-Don't put a lot pedal pressure as you change gears to go up hill, it can and will case your gears to have problems later on.