Noob Cyclist Maintenance Help

Viciouscycle

Mar 20, 2015
Hello everyone. First post.

So I just bought my first bike since I was 15 years old.

Originally, I bought the bike as part of plans to do a triathlon.

But I have really enjoyed the cycling part far more than the other two, so I think I'm switching to cycling by itself.

Anyway, so I have this shiny new bike. I want to keep it shiny and in safe working order.

So what do I need to do?

Bike is a trek 7.2fx. I am putting about 10-30 miles a day on it, with the intent of increasing that distance rapidly.

So I have a floor pump and know how to handle the psi.

Walk me through basic maintenance... Cleaning and oiling the chain... Any other stuff I need to do regularly.

I suspect I'll be trading this bike in for a road bike in year or so, so she needs to stay pretty!

There are plenty of online resources, and I'm not gonna try bettering them. Start with sheldonbrown.com, then proceed with the Park Tool repair section. Venture with some care into Youtube instructional videos. Return when you've grown some specific questions.

Clean the bike spotless. It's easier to detect wear and serious issues like structural cracks, etc. with a clean machine. It's easier to work on a clean bike...ask any mechanic about that. A clean bike is a bit more efficient. A clean bike can inspire.

As dabac stated, go to the Park Tool website and read, study and watch the videos. Buy the tools you need as you need them or buy a few in advance as your budget permits.

Watch the Art's Cyclery "Ask A Mechanic" series of videos.

Hit up YouTube with your specific issues...such as, "How to adjust shimaNO Ultegra rear derailleur", or whater issue you're facing. Odds are someone has already solved your problem and became an internet star by video recording the repair. You'll often find multiple videos on the same repair. Watch, listen and learn.

Lastly, as dabac again advised, ask specific question on the various forums. Every forum has experts on a limited number of subjects, general repair guys and mechanics, brand-specific people and it may take a bit to sort out which person is offering you the best advice, the correct advice or is just confusing you.

Start with cleaning (lots of YouTube videos on the subject), slowly work you way into the simple maintenance tasks and maybe see your local bike shop for in-person basic mechanic courses. Several of our area shops offer evening classes taught by mechanics on how to repair and adjust your bike.

Good luck! Wrenching may or may not be as much fun as riding, but it is certainly rewarding to do your own work and you'll learn a lot by doing it.

Well. Yesterday, a flat tire seven miles from home turned my out and back into an out and hike back pushing a bike.

So today, I learned how to change a tube. I now have a tiny underseat bag with a spare tube, two tire levers, and a cO2 inflator.

You live you learn.

Viciouscycle said:
Well. Yesterday, a flat tire seven miles from home turned my out and back into an out and hike back pushing a bike.

So today, I learned how to change a tube. I now have a tiny underseat bag with a spare tube, two tire levers, and a cO2 inflator.

You live you learn.
Oh that is the worst but also a rite of passage for all cyclists. I always carry a patch repair kit with me when I ride as well as an air pump to fill up my tires. I have spare tubes at home but for my daily commute I don't carry one on me, I would just hop on the bus if something happened. At least now you are prepared in case a flat ever happens again!

I always carry the all-in-one wonder tool with me.

My cell phone

I've never had to use it, but ain't no way I'm pushing my bike 7 miles.

I would have never thought of carrying a patch repair kit OR an all in one. I always carry my cell phone, anyway, though.

ABNPFDR said:
I always carry the all-in-one wonder tool with me.

My cell phone

I've never had to use it, but ain't no way I'm pushing my bike 7 miles.
I had my cell phone (always do) but it was of limited utility, as nobody was home anyway.