Noob cyclist with a riser / stem question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by alan M79, Aug 27, 2012.

1. alan M79

alan M79 New Member

Greetings guys and girls.

I own a claud butler hardtail mountain bike, purchased new around 3 years ago. Excellent bike btw.

I use it mostly for road and track cycling and in hindesight i probably should've bought a hybrid, but thats the joy of life without a crystal ball.

I am 6ft 2, and cannot tell you the frame size of the top of my head, although after putting in roughly 300miles i realised that i wasnt getting the most out of my legs, and swapped the saddle post for a taller one because i was perilously close to those panic danger warning dots. I only wanted maybe an inch or so of extra height, but the danger dots scared me into buying a new stem.

This has improved my leg comfort considerably but has the unfortunate and logical side effect of putting more weight on my hands resulting in numb / achey hands.

So i set about raising the handlebars only to find that there is very little scope for lifting the, before those dreaded danger dots occur, and even at that limit its not quite enough.

I assume i can buy a replacement stem / riser and fit this to gain a cheeky inch or two, but this is where i get a little lost. After some head scratching and googling and confusion I thought i would post on here for some guidance.

What part should i buy? do i need to buy the riser and then the "neck" part that connects to the handlebars, at the moment it is all one fixed unit. or is there an extender with neck complete available on the market?

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    AL

Tags:

2. alan M79

alan M79 New Member

so on further inspection and research i believe i have a welded aluminium or steel quill, now should i buy a quill adapter and then a stem to bolt to it, (angle and height to be chosen) and the handlebars, or buy a one piece extended quill stem?