noob need tire advice (leaking at valve stem)

crumpet19

Apr 9, 2004
Ok.. here's the skinny...

I just pulled my Gary Fisher Wahoo out of storage. I haven't ridden it in years so I'm repairing it/mantaining it to the best of my abilities. The back tire wont hold air. It leaks out of the stem. As soon as I remove the pump the air comes back out. Can this be fixed with a new tube?

I just bought a Haro V-1 and I'm working on track stands, and stairs at the moment. I'd like to use the Fisher to ride to class (less likely to get stolen than the Haro) and as a back up bike. I'd like to learn how to properly maintain a bike and work on it.. So the fisher is my project bike and I'm sure I'll be frequenting these forums.

Thanks for any advice!
chris

Sounds like the valve is just broken or stuck open. A new tube should fix it fine.

Originally posted by crumpet19
Ok.. here's the skinny...

I just pulled my Gary Fisher Wahoo out of storage. I haven't ridden it in years so I'm repairing it/mantaining it to the best of my abilities. The back tire wont hold air. It leaks out of the stem. As soon as I remove the pump the air comes back out. Can this be fixed with a new tube?

I just bought a Haro V-1 and I'm working on track stands, and stairs at the moment. I'd like to use the Fisher to ride to class (less likely to get stolen than the Haro) and as a back up bike. I'd like to learn how to properly maintain a bike and work on it.. So the fisher is my project bike and I'm sure I'll be frequenting these forums.

Thanks for any advice!
chris
If it's a schrader type,the core may be bad and can be replaced.

Really, if you store a bike, odds are your tube is going to go to ****...just part of the game. Heat and dryness tear up tubes.