noob question- when to use the sidewalk?

thirdin77

Oct 17, 2004
Not that I really want to use the sidewalk but.. does anyone else ever do this? The situations that come to mind are on narrow, single lane roads where traffic moves fast and would either pile up behind you because they don't want to pass you too closely or they will pass you closely- while going really fast.

I guess life would be too easy if all roads were either wide or included a bike lane.:)

thirdin77 said:
Not that I really want to use the sidewalk but.. does anyone else ever do this? The situations that come to mind are on narrow, single lane roads where traffic moves fast and would either pile up behind you because they don't want to pass you too closely or they will pass you closely- while going really fast.

I guess life would be too easy if all roads were either wide or included a bike lane.:)
I guess I just use the sidewalk if I've bonked or am otherwise just too tired to ride more than 10 MPH.

I have not come across any narrow, single lane roads here that also have high speed traffic or high traffic volume. Usually, those narrow, single lane roads are non-arterial residential streets and have no sidewalks anyway.

My test of whether a road is safe to commute on is whether or not you can ride without making the traffic behind you slow down to your speed. A good example of a safe road is a two lane street that is wide enough to let a car pass you easily while you are riding a few feet from the curb. An example of an unsafe road might be one where there are two tight and busy lanes going your direction, and the cars in the right lane are not going to be able to pass a cyclist without changing lanes.

If you ask trailing drivers to have to take major steps to allow for you, in situations that might be fast-moving or where they may not have a way to pass you and thus will have to slow down fast, eventually one of those drivers will make a mistake and hit you.

Anyway, whenever I judge that a section of street or highway is unsafe in the way I described, I either go by a different route or I take a sidewalk for a short distance.

Don't know the law in California but in Illinois it is illegal to use the sidewalk in a business district.

I don't like to use them there anyway because when you cross the driveways of stores, people who are driving up from behind are less likely to see you than if you were in the street.

Sidewalks can be a lot harder on road wheelsets than the street, depending on how smooth the joint between street and sidewalk is.

Besides that, though, I just go ahead and use them when I can, especially in sprawling neighborhoods where there aren't a lot of driveways.

garage sale GT said:
Don't know the law in California but in Illinois it is illegal to use the sidewalk in a business district.
Same here in MN. But, the streets are not narrow or without shoulders here in most business districts.

I think it is illegal in some jurisdictions to ride on the sidewalk. I personally try to stay off of the sidewalk, unless there is no other option, or, I am too tired to attempt to keep up a good pace on the road.

thirdin77 said:

NEVER.
Children are fine on sidewalks but pedestrians and motorists crossing intersections don't expect cyclists on sidewalks. You may feel safer from cars but you're a menace to pedestrians.

I had a dual suspension bike that I used as my primary mode of transportation, and would ride against trafic,in high trafic/no shoulder areas to give me a chance to dodge out of the way of ignorant car and truck drivers.

I tend to agree with aubinmg. Motorists are not as likely to see you when you are approaching an intersection on a sidewalk. TheTexasPirate spoke of riding against traffic, which has the same problem. If you want motorist to see you, you should be in the place where they are looking for other vehicles.

The other problem with riding on sidewalks is that we teach our children to look both ways before stepping out into the street. Does anyone teach there children to look both ways before stepping out into the sidewalk? When I am riding into work my bicycle and I weigh around 250 pounds. 250 pounds hitting a kid at 20 mph is going to do some damage to that kid.

TheTexasPirate! said:
I had a dual suspension bike that I used as my primary mode of transportation, and would ride against trafic,in high trafic/no shoulder areas to give me a chance to dodge out of the way of ignorant car and truck drivers.
I can't say strongly enough how wrong-headed your thinking is on this. Riding against the traffic gives you the illusion of being able to dodge out of the way, but in reality you have just increased your closing speed with traffic by 30 mph. Not only do you not have enough time to dodge out of the way when you are against traffic, but the fast closing speed gives that traffic less time to see you and adjust to you. A startled driver is more likely to be a driver who does something impulsive and wrong.

For example, let's say the traffic is moving at 45 mph, and you are going 15 mph. Riding with the traffic you have a closing speed of 30 mph. Against the traffic you have a closing speed of 60 mph.

If the traffic is too heavy and fast to safely ride with it, it certainly is too heavy and fast to ride against it. I have ridden tens of thousands of miles in my lifetime, and I am not exaggerating when I say I can't think of any situation that justifies riding against traffic. By the way, it's also illegal to do so.

In Ontario I also believe it is illegal to bike on the sidewalk, though almost everyone does (without repercussion). I will bike on the sidewalk when, as mentioned, I am too tired, or feel that my safety is significantly threathened by bad drivers, or bad road conditions. My city is know for its bad drivers, and usually the areas of road closest to the right are filled with potholes. It's sometimes necessary for sidewalk riding. However, when biking on the sidewalk I always make sure to stop at intersections or other areas, and either make sure the cost is clear, or make sure the drivers know I am there.

thirdin77 said:

I will not ride on the sidewalk, I have had more near-collisions or collisions with motorist riding on the sidewalk.

Part of my commute is through downtown and several times I have to cross the drive way entrance to somthing like a gas station. They almost never see me if I am on the sidewalk and I am usually going to fast to stop in time.

Also this is always the unsuspecting pedestrians that don't see me coming in their direction for several blocks untill I am right in front of them, at which point they panic and jump in my way in an effort to avoid me.

I ride on the road, as far to the right as I safely can. At intersections, I pull up into the cross walk where every one can see me. My community is not really aware/concerned/ok with cyclist and it annoys the **** out of them when I am there but I do everything I can to ensure they can see me.

A side note: I have been hit once and have countless close calls. Several times motorist have rolled down their windows and in between expletives, ask why I am in the road and not on the side walk. I usually have 2 or 3 copies of the portion of the state law that states bicycles are to be ridden on the road, not side walks and hand them one. That doesn't really change their mind about the situation but I get a kick out of it.

TheTexasPirate! said:
Aside from the law to the contrary, what is taught in drivers ed, which you had to take to get a license in Texas, this habit increases the risk of collision.

...whenever I feel too confined on the street & unsafe but once on the sidewalk I will yeild 100% to pedestrians & slow to a walking pace when I come up on people.

I'd stay off the sidewalk.

For every person riding on the sidewalk, someone who isn't is going to have to deal with a motorist who thinking 'Geez - why isn't this retarded on a sidewalk?'.

In many places, it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk.

I will use a side walk if I feel the road is to unsafe, there are a couple of stretches of road where I commute that I feel I have to use. Police have passed me loads of times and have never stopped me, I think they turn a blind eye as a girl got swiped and killed by a passing truck there a couple of years ago. Also one sidewalk has been painted to split it in two with SLOW on in one lane so I'm thinking that they will soon make this stretch an offical shared bike/pedestrian route.

If I have to use a sidewalk, I slow down for pedestrains and when passing I thank them or greet them.

I also use a footbridge somtimes and will get off if there are a few people coming my way.

If you have to use a sidewalk just be really really nice to people on foot, there are some places I would happily risk a fine by riding on the sidewalk than ride on the roads.

Never. I'm in the UK, it's illegal here (but barely enforced). Don't want to offer any more ammo to those drivers here who want us off "their" roads. In most cases the sidewalk is more dangerous- no priority at junctions, street furniture etc. Can't think of any situations where I've "held up" more than a couple drivers at a time, really narrow roads aren't generally busy (here in the UK anyway).

Yeah Penguin I am from the UK and I would never use the pavements there, however New Zealand roads feel a heck of alot unsafer than they do back home, they are wider that seems to encourage cars to go faster,they have appalling street lighting and have massive pot holes. There is always someone in the news getting killed or badly injured which is shocking with the size of the country. So unfortuantely I have to use the path for some of my journey.

Hi all,
I'm from Southern California, and the laws about riding on sidewalks vary from city to city. For example, its legal to do so in Santa Monica and Los Angeles, but not in West Hollyood. LA's rules say bikes can be on sidewalks as long as you operate in a manner so as not to endanger pedestrians. Makes sense, but others have raised a good point: legal or not, most drivers coming to an intersection are looking everywhere except where you are if you are on the sidewalk AND going the wrong way. I find it useful in my daily commute to work to be on the sidewalk and going the wrong way in a very few spots, but I always have to be aware no one is looking for me. If you must be on the sidewalks, just realize you're at the bottom of the "legality chain" and most drivers aren't looking for you there.
Be safe!:)