noob questions

treetop

Jul 13, 2006
Thanks in advance for any advice. I am new to regular cycling. I have moved to a rural area where the roads make my old favorite cardio activity, rollerblading, impossible. I've purchased a good quality mountain/street hybrid bike - 26" frame, but find that I am somewhat cramped and bent over. Can anyone recommend handlebar extenders that would allow me to have my hands positioned higher and out further? I have googled to no avail. I am 6'2" and 265 pounds, and primarily a weightlifter.

Mike

treetop said:
Thanks in advance for any advice. I am new to regular cycling. I have moved to a rural area where the roads make my old favorite cardio activity, rollerblading, impossible. I've purchased a good quality mountain/street hybrid bike - 26" frame, but find that I am somewhat cramped and bent over. Can anyone recommend handlebar extenders that would allow me to have my hands positioned higher and out further? I have googled to no avail. I am 6'2" and 265 pounds, and primarily a weightlifter.

Mike
I saw a guy who looked a lot like your description out riding the other day. He had a stem unlike anything I'd ever seen before. I didn't get a good look at it but I'd guess it had to angle up at least 45 degrees. To that he had what looked like mid-rise MTB bars. That got him nice and high w/o going too far forward.

My recommendation: Check with your LBS. Somebody makes that stem, but it's doubtful anyone would carry it in stock. Your LBS should be able to measure you up and order in the right one for you.