noob requires assistance (brakes and things)

Sam

Guest
Hi, all !

After lurking here in the shadows for the past year or so, I have decided to take the plunge and get
my grubby mits on a bent.. At the moment I`m looking at either a Street Machine or a Speed Machine,
and I would like to have the SON lights and the disk brakes. My question is this, according to the
SON webpage, the SON shouldn`t be used with the disk brakes, is this correct ? If so, what other
system can I use ?

Oh, and while I am here, should I get mudguards or no ?

many thanks for your help

Sam

--
____________________________
__________AmigaOne _________ _____So the world may know____

"sam" skrev...
> Hi, all !
>
> After lurking here in the shadows for the past year or so, I have decided to take the plunge and
> get my grubby mits on a bent.. At the moment I`m looking at either a Street Machine or a Speed
> Machine, and I would like to have the SON lights and the disk brakes. My question is this,
> according to the SON webpage, the SON shouldn`t be used with the disk brakes, is this correct ? If
> so, what other system can I use ?

That would be a bit odd as they seem to flog a discversion
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/son_hub_dynamo.shtml Will set you back 20 quid more at Kinetics as
you can see.

Its also listed as an option on the HP Velotechnik site. 285 dollars for a SON 20 discversion with
lights mounted on the Speedmachine.

309 dollars on the Streetmachine. Dunno if you need a discfork too.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/

> Oh, and while I am here, should I get mudguards or no ?

If you like having your private parts and neck watered as soon as the roads get a bit wet by all
means don't. ;-) I haven't tried these bikes tho so maybe you can do without.

Cheers Mikael

Peter White includes a lot of useful info about the Schmidt (and other brands) of hub generators on
his website. He advises against their use on tandems. Speedmachine should be okay, as I doubt a
single rider will overheat the brake disc to the point of degrading the magnet assembly.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

Mudguards or fenders are okay too, depending on weather, street conditions, and how fashionable you
consider backspatter to be.

David

"sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, all !
>
> After lurking here in the shadows for the past year or so, I have decided to take the plunge and
> get my grubby mits on a bent.. At the moment I`m looking at either a Street Machine or a Speed
> Machine, and I would like to have the SON lights and the disk brakes. My question is this,
> according to the SON webpage, the SON shouldn`t be used with the disk brakes, is this correct ? If
> so, what other system can I use ?
>
> Oh, and while I am here, should I get mudguards or no ?
>
> many thanks for your help
>
> Sam
>

> --
> ____________________________
> __________AmigaOne _________ _____So the world may know____
> ____________________________

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:26:08 -0800, "David"
<[email protected]>:

>Peter White includes a lot of useful info about the Schmidt (and other brands) of hub generators on
>his website. He advises against their use on tandems. Speedmachine should be okay, as I doubt a
>single rider will overheat the brake disc to the point of degrading the magnet assembly.

I have an Optima Stinger with the SON. I descend fast when the opportunity presents itself and I
haven't cooked it yet :)

I have it wired in a 12V series setup. Very good.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Thanks for your help everybody, I shall look further.

sam

--

I`ve got a lady who does.