noob with bike question

del slo team

Mar 17, 2008
I was researching on a 700c Schwinn Varsity and came across this site. I weigh 290 and I have begun an exercise regimen that will include cycling as I always have enjoyed riding. I purchased a bike for less than 65.00 at Wally World a couple of years ago and the seat was the only thing that failed. Is there a company that makes seat assemblies that can be added on to any bike as browsing thru Craigslist has netted some economical bikes.

I am clueless to what type of bicycle I should acquire as money is an issue for me at the moment. Should I spend the money on a cheap roadbike like the 700c Varsity or purchase a trail bike? Any input is appreciated.

del slo team said:
I am clueless to what type of bicycle I should acquire as money is an issue for me at the moment. Should I spend the money on a cheap roadbike like the 700c Varsity or purchase a trail bike? Any input is appreciated.
Your local bike shops should have replacement saddles to keep you rolling until you make your next move.

Before throwing more money at Wal-Mart, I suggest asking your local shops for an eyeball fitting and a demo of their wares. You'll be pleasantly amazed.

oldbobcat said:
Your local bike shops should have replacement saddles to keep you rolling until you make your next move.

Before throwing more money at Wal-Mart, I suggest asking your local shops for an eyeball fitting and a demo of their wares. You'll be pleasantly amazed.
i second that. your local bike shop should be able to give you a good selection at prices i think you will like. They will give you expert advice, and will be able to properly fit you to a bike, which is very important in preventing injury.

As far as road bike vs. mountain (trail) bike, i think thats more personal preference. Both will give you the same workout. A road bike will allow you to go farther, and faster. A mountain bike will be slower on the road, but it will allow you to go offroad, which is always fun.

I think the seats with the two round rails on the bottom are pretty standard. I have added a new suspension seatpost to my 1984 Schwinn and modern clamp which was integral with the new seatpost fit, after I removed the old-style steel clamp assembly from the 1984-vintage seat. I am not really sure about the new varsity but can't believe it's so different. Those two 5/16" diameter wires which run from front to back seem to be on almost all bike seats. Bring your wrecked seat in to the store and compare.

Not so for seatpost diameter though. there are lots of different diameters.

What broke, exactly?

I tore the seat and seatpost basically bending it. I am looking at craigslist as I have seemed to find some good deals. I saw a trek 370 for 130 or best offer. My question is will those tiny tires support my weight.