Noobie Help Question: front derailleur/gear wire

rise

Jul 17, 2007
So I just purchased a fuji newest 3.0. It has the Shimano Sora Triple for the front derailleur (please correct me if i'm wrong as i have yet to figure out terminology). I wanted to adjust to decrease the chain grinding against it. I raised the derailleur about 3mm above the largest front sprocket. I had to provide more slack to do so, therefore i removed the nut holding the gear wire and allowed for more slack. This is where everything went downhill. I cannot get the wire taught enough to shift correctly and I really don't know the steps to doing so. I've tried many combinations--starting with chain on smallest sprocket in front/large in back, I've also tried screwing with the adjusting screws on the derailleur itself but I cannot get it right. I am pretty new to this and if there are any tips on adjusting the gears correctly with the wire, how to start doing this, and correct adjustment of the derailleur, that would be freaking awesome! And any "help" links would be great as well!
I hope this made sense enough to get help haha

Thanks in advance!

rise said:
So I just purchased a fuji newest 3.0. It has the Shimano Sora Triple for the front derailleur (please correct me if i'm wrong as i have yet to figure out terminology). I wanted to adjust to decrease the chain grinding against it. I raised the derailleur about 3mm above the largest front sprocket. I had to provide more slack to do so, therefore i removed the nut holding the gear wire and allowed for more slack. This is where everything went downhill. I cannot get the wire taught enough to shift correctly and I really don't know the steps to doing so. I've tried many combinations--starting with chain on smallest sprocket in front/large in back, I've also tried screwing with the adjusting screws on the derailleur itself but I cannot get it right. I am pretty new to this and if there are any tips on adjusting the gears correctly with the wire, how to start doing this, and correct adjustment of the derailleur, that would be freaking awesome! And any "help" links would be great as well!

Thanks in advance!
parktool.com

rise said:

Thanks in advance!
Shift the left side shifter lever all the way down, like you were trying to get it down to the granny gear. This will be where the derailluer sits at nuetral. Then, pull the cable taught with your hand and tighten the allen screw. I just did mine tonight. What a coincidence!

From there you will need to fuss with the limiter screws to get it back to where it was before you started messing with it.It's not hard. Really look at how it functions and this will make sense. No rocket scientist degree needed.:)

retro- Thanks for the great site! i can use this for lots-o-things that i screw up haha

rwin- i will try to do this tomorrow! Thank you for your input! i'm glad your quick-fix went well when you were fussing with this stuff!