noobie question about road bike

mutsu

May 16, 2005
Hi,

I have a cannondale f700, was doing some road riding.I could never keep up with the roadbikes.
I'm pretty fit, run 3 miles every other day.

I was wondering if there is an advantage to a entry level roadbike(ex.trek 1000) over a modifed mountain bike like my f700?

I just don't like to use my energy so inefficiently....

modifed mountain bike in terms of
1)narrow slicks
2)28 rims (larger lighter rims)
3)higher gearings

thanks,
Mutsu

more aero position, you'd be surprised what a difference that makes, road tyres make the bike feel much faster and are faster then normal MTB's slicks and the only thing i can think of at the moment is the suspension fork u lose a lot of energy through the suspension, there's probably more points but im too late and going to bed :p ;)

You have to consider weight, gearing, tire width, etc. Borrow a buddies road bike and go out and find some road cyclists. You should know in a hurry if the road bikes worth it.

mutsu said:
I just don't like to use my energy so inefficiently....

As someone who got into road cycling from commuting on my Mtn bike with similar mods to yours... Remember how much difference you got from changing the knobbies to slicks (which made you need more gears). Well going to a road bike will be almost as big of a jump, especially one with more aggresive (i.e. aero position) geometry and set-up. It will be easier to keep up with your buds.