*Noobie warning* Font tire wont inflate, what the heck?

OriginalReaper

Aug 5, 2003
My bike just got sent to me from Florida. I'm putting it together and everything is going fine, but my front tire wont inflate. It's as if something were stuck in the nozzle. When I try to pump air, all the air stays in the pump (because the pressure meter immediately shoots up.)

I've fiddled with it all I can and I can't figure it out. I dont want to take it to my LBS because they'll probably charge $10-20 for something silly (my LBS is corrupt)

If it's a Presta valve (ie. it doesn't look like the valve on a car tire), then you need to unlock it first. There's a small knurled tip on the valve that you have to unscrew before the valve will open.

artmichalek said:
If it's a Presta valve (ie. it doesn't look like the valve on a car tire), then you need to unlock it first. There's a small knurled tip on the valve that you have to unscrew before the valve will open.

Okay, I'm not that noobie :)

I unscrew the valve and use a pump to inflate it but nothing goes through. The rear tire inflated fine, but the front one is, for some reason, keeping me from riding on an awesome new york city thursday. 66ºF, mostly cloudy, 10MPH winds.

OriginalReaper said:

I unscrew the valve and use a pump to inflate it but nothing goes through. The rear tire inflated fine, but the front one is, for some reason, keeping me from riding on an awesome new york city thursday. 66ºF, mostly cloudy, 10MPH winds.
Sorry, I try not to assume too much when the title has *Noobie Alert* in it. ;)
Anyway, sometimes Presta valves stick. Once you unscrew the tip, you may have to push it down with your finger or tap it with a wrench handle to losen it up.

artmichalek said:
Anyway, sometimes Presta valves stick. Once you unscrew the tip, you may have to push it down with your finger or tap it with a wrench handle to losen it up.
If that doesn't work just take it as bad luck, and buy a couple of new tubes, you'll want to have a spare tube anyways.

manvell said:
If that doesn't work just take it as bad luck, and buy a couple of new tubes, you'll want to have a spare tube anyways.

The darn thing inflated before :(

artmichalek said:

The tip goes down to let air pass, but nothing goes through. The tire is completely deflated to the point where the rubber folds under its own weight, if that matters.

OriginalReaper said:

you re breaking my heart i ve got 2 superb tyre on the bike but wind is blowing a gale and its pissing from the heaven here in central scotland

have u tryed giving the valve a tap to make sure its not stuck,also make sure you ve got the pump pushed the onto valve properly(don t look at me like that its u who called yourself noobie:D )

I've had problems with my 2 headed pump that has both presta and schrader valves on it. Sometimes it sticks, the pressure goes through the roof, and nothing goes in the tire.

Some times I knock on the valve a couple of times and it unsticks. Some times it just won't unstick.

That is no big problem. It happens to me just about once a week. I usually tap the end of my pump, where it connects to the valve. Then I move the vavle, shift it around some. If you still cant get it take the tube out of the tire and put it back in. There shouldnt be anything wrong with the tube.

IanM. said:
That is no big problem. It happens to me just about once a week. I usually tap the end of my pump, where it connects to the valve. Then I move the vavle, shift it around some. If you still cant get it take the tube out of the tire and put it back in. There shouldnt be anything wrong with the tube.

too true , happens to me everytime I need to pump up my tyres , if that don´t work just junk the tube and fit a new one of reputable make - sometimes bike companies use some real junk to cut costs . :cool: