Noodle Angles and Lengths

Psychlo-path

Guest
What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the theory?
My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front but am I
missing out on better braking?

thanks

On Feb 26, 12:02 pm, "Psychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the theory?
> My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front but am I
> missing out on better braking?
>
> thanks

Use 90-degree noodles for a "normal" brake configuration with the
front brake controlled by the left lever. The 120 to 135-ish noodles
are for bikes running the front brake off of the right lever with
normal non-reversible right side pull V-brakes. This allows the cable
housing to curve into the noodle at a better angle to minimize any
kink at the ferrule on the noodle. The rear brake should always use 90-
degrees.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Family newsgroup.

I can assure you that the noodle to which you allude has very little to do
with my braking; except when endangered by oncoming obstacles. :)

"amakyonin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Feb 26, 12:02 pm, "Psychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the

theory?
> My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front but am I
> missing out on better braking?
>
> thanks

>Use 90-degree noodles for a "normal" brake configuration with the
>front brake controlled by the left lever. The 120 to 135-ish noodles
>are for bikes running the front brake off of the right lever with
>normal non-reversible right side pull V-brakes. This allows the cable
>housing to curve into the noodle at a better angle to minimize any
>kink at the ferrule on the noodle. The rear brake should always use 90-
>degrees.

----------------------------

Hmmm, seems that while i replaced the 120° noodle for 90°, i assumed that
the 120° noodle was intended for the back as it came coupled with the
shorted bolts, so this is not the case?
In the UK here so right lever is front as standard; again, 90° noodle on
front, so my housing is too long (given that the noodle comes in to the
caliper on the right side)??

On Feb 26, 9:02 am, "Psychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the theory?
> My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front but am I
> missing out on better braking?

What's a noodle?

bfd wrote:
> On Feb 26, 9:02 am, "Psychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the
>> theory? My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front
>> but am I missing out on better braking?
>>

> What's a noodle?

That silver thing that functions as the cable housing, attached to v-brake
arms. It looks like a long skinny piece of metal elbow macaroni.
--
Phil

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:32:06 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>bfd wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 9:02 am, "Psychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> What's the deal with different length and angle noodels? What's the
>>> theory? My bike seems to work well with a 90° noodles back and front
>>> but am I missing out on better braking?
>>>

>> What's a noodle?

>That silver thing that functions as the cable housing, attached to v-brake
>arms. It looks like a long skinny piece of metal elbow macaroni.

Dear Phil & B,

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=24393435553&c=Repair-Parts&sc=Brake&tc=V-Brake-Noodles

Cheers,

Carl Fogel