Noosa rides?????????????

PGANDO

Mar 27, 2006
In a desperate move to clock up some much needed K's ahead of the 250km Around The Bay ride in October I have decided to take my bike up to Noosa on our family holiday.

Previous riding holidays in Surfer's have proved very rewarding, especially around the hinterland. Importantly I am desperate to hear about some of the better rides around Noosa. Any distance suits although the longer the better? Are there any riding groups/clubs?

I recently worked up in the area for a month and found the rides along the David Low Way (Noosa-Peregian-Coolum-Marcoola-BliBli and beyond) really good. Lots of rolling hills including some steep ones. great for a morning run before heading off to work:) .

PGANDO said:
In a desperate move to clock up some much needed K's ahead of the 250km Around The Bay ride in October I have decided to take my bike up to Noosa on our family holiday.

Previous riding holidays in Surfer's have proved very rewarding, especially around the hinterland. Importantly I am desperate to hear about some of the better rides around Noosa. Any distance suits although the longer the better? Are there any riding groups/clubs?

PGANDO said:

Try SCBTC Inc. and go to the contacts page. I'm the webmaster. Give me a call and I can help. We are not all slow tourers - many fast guys (and gals) in the club and we do our own rides too in smaller groups. The Sunshine Coast Loop is a rewarding 145km and there is a pleasant 165km loop that takes in Kenilworth and a challenging climb. The touring club also runs "advanced" rides on Sundays, some of which go into the hills behind Noosa. These are faster than the ordinary Sunday rides (lots faster!!!).

Also try out the usual coast bunch rides. Kawana Waters shopping centre carpark at 7:30 each Wednesday for a blast down to Pelican Waters stopping for coffee at Caloundra on the way back (54km). Going down is comfortable but the return can get pretty quick. No stopping for stragglers. If you want some distance, ride to it from Noosa (+70km).

A little known group ride is each Friday at 7:30 at the Cod Hole at Maroochydore. North to Perigian for coffee via Twin Waters and over Mt Coolum. Some Noosa riders ride to the Cod Hole, join us to Perigian then continue to Noosa. This ride regroups at 4 locations out and 4 return so many riders treat it as a series of sprints.

Hope this helps.

Great feedback. Thank you. Have you ever looked at bikely.com? Great site to outline classic bike routes. It allows you to draw the route on a satellite photo (ie, google earth). Invaluable in exchanging ride ideas. Thanks again

ozbiker2 said:
Try SCBTC Inc. and go to the contacts page. I'm the webmaster. Give me a call and I can help. We are not all slow tourers - many fast guys (and gals) in the club and we do our own rides too in smaller groups. The Sunshine Coast Loop is a rewarding 145km and there is a pleasant 165km loop that takes in Kenilworth and a challenging climb. The touring club also runs "advanced" rides on Sundays, some of which go into the hills behind Noosa. These are faster than the ordinary Sunday rides (lots faster!!!).

Also try out the usual coast bunch rides. Kawana Waters shopping centre carpark at 7:30 each Wednesday for a blast down to Pelican Waters stopping for coffee at Caloundra on the way back (54km). Going down is comfortable but the return can get pretty quick. No stopping for stragglers. If you want some distance, ride to it from Noosa (+70km).

A little known group ride is each Friday at 7:30 at the Cod Hole at Maroochydore. North to Perigian for coffee via Twin Waters and over Mt Coolum. Some Noosa riders ride to the Cod Hole, join us to Perigian then continue to Noosa. This ride regroups at 4 locations out and 4 return so many riders treat it as a series of sprints.

Hope this helps.

Sounds good. What's the traffic like?

smithsr said:
I recently worked up in the area for a month and found the rides along the David Low Way (Noosa-Peregian-Coolum-Marcoola-BliBli and beyond) really good. Lots of rolling hills including some steep ones. great for a morning run before heading off to work:) .

What is the Sunshine Coast Loop? If there is a regular group, where and when do they start? Also, where/when does the Sunday group start?
Thanks
ozbiker2 said:

Hope this helps.

PGANDO said:
What is the Sunshine Coast Loop? If there is a regular group, where and when do they start? Also, where/when does the Sunday group start?
Thanks
To see all of the group rides go to the Sunshine Coast Cycling Club. Read the comments with some allowance for interpretation. The Wed ride they call "relaxed" with some "older riders" went down at 42kph yesterday and came back at 45, in the rain. This may be relaxed for some :rolleyes:
The Friday ride is also not mentioned on the website - 7:30 at the Cod Hole, be there.
I believe there is a Sunday group but I have never gone with them. Sunshine Coast Bicycle Touring Club runs regular Sunday rides, some hard and some easy. The advanced rides are mainly C & D grade racers, young and old, and others who can ride at that pace. The web site has the calendar and visitors are welcome. Next Sunday is the Noosa100 - hilly and challenging - come along if you are here.
I've attached the Wed and Fri rides as archived .gpx files for your interest (the Fri ride is the one going north).

Hope this helps.
cheers, John