Norco....?:confused:

~MoDCoN~

Apr 18, 2003
Heya guys, I'm getting a new bike soon, (limited budget AU$500...) and was wondering what you people thought of the Norco brand. Is it respectable/good quality...etc? I was looking at the 'Adventure' Series, ie. Norco Storm and Kokanee. Any reccomendations would be real appreciated.

Thanks!
MOD

IMO you should avoid them at all costs, all though I've only ever owned a Norco road frame, I did break 4 or 5 in about 12 months. They were absolute ****.

Have you looked at other budget bikes from the likes of Giant and Avanti? They make very good MTB and road frames!

cheers!

These are the specs....Kokanee....btw, i can get this for about $500AU
Frame Aluminum XC design frame with O/S down tube
Fork Rock shox Judy TT 80 mm
Headset Victor 1 1/8" thread-less
Cranks Shimano MC 19 24/34/42T
Bottom Bracket Shimano Cartridge
Pedals Victor Alloy
Chain KMC Freewheel SRAM PG 3.0 8 speed 11-32T
Front Changer Shimano Acera 31.8
Rear Changer Shimano Alivio
Front Shifter Shimano EZ EF 35 fire
Rear Shifter Shimano EZ EF 35 fire
Bar Alloy riser
Stem Lee Chi LA 4
Front Brake Tektro V brake
Rear Brake Tektro V brake
Brake Levers Shimano combo
Front Hub Alloy Q/R
Rear Hub Shimano Cassette Q/R
Rims Alex Y2000
Spokes 2.0 black
Tires Kenda 26X1.95 on/off

i don't know about norco bikes but Giant so some good budget bikes, just be a little careful because for $500 if you atart to do some serious riding you may end up with a few bits that wear out pretty fast

i'm not trying to be a gear snob but if you want to do any serious riding you should consider selling one of your parents into slavery and spending closer to $1000

Geez Duckwah your parents must be pretty good ones......I sold mine into slavery and couldn't even afford an Upgraded Big Mac meal :)

I have had a Giant MTB for about 6 years and I have never had so much as a flat tyre and I reckon I have put at least 20,000km's on it....... Apart from regular wear and tear items such as brake pads etc, the only thing I have had replaced is the seals on my front suspension. Would throughly recommend the Giant to anyone.

Ii've only ever had Norco road frames, they left a bad taste in my mouth :D

Giant or Avanti are the go!

cheers

hi,
Go norco. these idiots r all crowd followers. The norco race frame suck but so do all road bikes. NOrco mountain bike r great. three friend hace them and only 1 had giant. THe giant screws up heaps. Dont follow the pack. Get a bike that suits you bugger the brand and look at the bike.

NORCO AND SANTA CRUZ RULZ!!!!:cool:

A friend of mine started with a 500 dollar norco he destroyed it on our first XC outing. He is a nutter but I thought he was riding well and the bike just let him down. He graduated up to about 3500 dollars and now has something that's doing the ****. Ya wanna ride hardcore? spend the bucks!

I've had Norco bikes forever, and have put them through incredible abuse--- they stand up very well and are usually priced below the competition - check out the website and talk to your bike store!!!

Norco rules. Go for it. I've had my Norco Java for 6 years now and IMO it's indesructable. Don't worry about the stories from these people who break frames. 99% of the time it's not the bikes fault. Some people could just break an anvil with a glass hammer.

Originally posted by ~MoDCoN~
Heya guys, I'm getting a new bike soon, (limited budget AU$500...) and was wondering what you people thought of the Norco brand. Is it respectable/good quality...etc? I was looking at the 'Adventure' Series, ie. Norco Storm and Kokanee. Any reccomendations would be real appreciated.

Norco is considered to be one of the elite freeride bike manufacterers by the North Shore riders and those guys push their bikes to the absolute limits .Although I ride a Cannondale and a Kona,my wife and two daughters all ride Norcos.They've been reliable bikes that have required a minimal amount of service work.These are cross country bikes and if ridden as they were intended to be used will give years of reliable service.They are NOT a huckers bike and if ridden that way will most certainly fail.
The Storm is a 27 spd well spec'd for the money and the frame is built of 7005 aluminum.
The Kokanee is a 24 spd also well spec'd and has a frame built from 6061 aluminum.Both use a 4" Marzocchi fork.
I think you'd be happy with either of these moderately priced bikes.
Dave

Hey MoDCoN, You posted this thread on 25/04/03 you must have bought by now, what did you get? are you happy with it?