Norco vs. Kona?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paul Westall, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    I'm considiering buying a full suspension mtb. I have been riding a Kona hardtail for 5 years and
    have been satisfied with it. However, I am hearing that Kona is sort of coaasting on its reputation
    and that the quality of bikes is suffering. Lots of posts about broken frames, non functionaing
    components etc. Are Norco really more reliable overall? A better deal? Looking for a sturdy trail
    bike (I'm about 190lbs) that can take som moderate drops and jumps . Anyone on the group riding a
    Norco? Paul

    Tags:

  2. I've ridden a bunch of Norco bikes and ben happy with them all. Norco rules. I don't think anything
    out there offers better value.

    I'm currently riding a Norco team 853 hardtail, and a Norco Drop freeride bike. Both are great
    bikes, and I'm about the same weight as you. I thrash the hard tail pretty hard, no big drops, but
    If I did that stuff on it I'd be more worried about the wheels than the frame. Two years ago, I rode
    nearly the same component spec on a kona explosif frame, and the head tube ovalized in one season. I
    wasn't impressed.

    I don't know what your idea of moderate drops is, but my drop has handled five footers to flat and
    bigger stuff to a good downhill tranny with no problems.

    Buy Norco.

    Greg.

    Paul Westall wrote:

    > I'm considiering buying a full suspension mtb. I have been riding a Kona hardtail for 5 years and
    > have been satisfied with it. However, I am hearing that Kona is sort of coaasting on its
    > reputation and that the quality of bikes is suffering. Lots of posts about broken frames, non
    > functionaing components etc. Are Norco really more reliable overall? A better deal? Looking for a
    > sturdy trail bike (I'm about 190lbs) that can take som moderate drops and jumps . Anyone on the
    > group riding a Norco? Paul

  3. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    Thanks for the info. The Drop looks a bit heavy duty for me. I'm going to try and get to a couple of
    shops next week and check out the Fluid. Also the Rage looks like a good deal, but probably very
    hard to find any leftovers from last year (and a bit on the heavy side for most of my riding.) Paul
    "Greg Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've ridden a bunch of Norco bikes and ben happy with them all. Norco
    rules. I
    > don't think anything out there offers better value.
    >
    > I'm currently riding a Norco team 853 hardtail, and a Norco Drop freeride
    bike.
    > Both are great bikes, and I'm about the same weight as you. I thrash the
    hard
    > tail pretty hard, no big drops, but If I did that stuff on it I'd be more worried about the wheels
    > than the frame. Two years ago, I rode nearly the
    same
    > component spec on a kona explosif frame, and the head tube ovalized in one season. I wasn't
    > impressed.
    >
    > I don't know what your idea of moderate drops is, but my drop has handled
    five
    > footers to flat and bigger stuff to a good downhill tranny with no
    problems.

    > Buy Norco.
    >
    > Greg.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the info. The Drop looks a bit heavy duty for me. I'm going to try and get to a couple
    > of shops next week and check out the Fluid. Also the Rage looks like a good deal, but probably
    > very hard to find any leftovers from last year (and a bit on the heavy side for most of my
    > riding.) Paul

    The Fluid is a great little bike. Nearly bought myself one.
    --
    Slacker

  5. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Westall wrote:
    > Thanks for the info. The Drop looks a bit heavy duty for me. I'm going to try and get to a couple
    > of shops next week and check out the Fluid. Also the Rage looks like a good deal, but probably
    > very hard to find any leftovers from last year (and a bit on the heavy side for most of my
    > riding.)

    I ride a VPS-3, which is pretty hefty. Last year when I went to Fernie, I rode with my local Norco
    rep, and he was riding a Fluid. He had nothing but good things to say about it (of course) but
    beyond that, it seemed to hold up pretty well. It's sturdy, and quite a lot lighter than my VPS. I'd
    say go for Norco. (Besides, I think their paintjobs are better, too. :)

    JS

    --
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code