NORCO XFR SERIES

hetepp

Apr 12, 2010
I initially decided to get into biking again because I thought it would be good exercise to ride to work instead of car or the bus.

I dont plan on using the bike only to commute to work though but also to take on an hour average long rides since I live next to the river which has a path that goes on forever! Im really excited and was looking at the norco xfr2 since it has the suspension on front since the paths also lead into some light dirt trails and potentially some riding on grass too. that being said I read alot of people suggesting they should go into an entry level cyclocross instead.

so I was hoping you guys/girls can tell me what this hybrid can handle vs what a cyclocross can handle

PLEASE PLEASE I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE OR OPINIONS OR INPUT

thank you thank you

PS Im new to this forums thing so go easy on me :p

I just wanted to add, the weather here in calgary is pretty crazy and the more abuse the bike can take from me or the weather the best.
hopefully something that can handle all seasons would be best.

thanks again! PLEASE HELP ME

I'd appreciate any information on the Norco XFR One too.

In Toronto, but have one fairly big hill getting too/from bike trails and our daughter will be on a bicycle trailer. Plan is to use it on bike trails primarily and roads (secondarily) for weekend riding and occasional (if I can find a safe place to park it) at work.

I can order it in for $1,000 Cdn., but I haven't tried it. Has anyone tried this bike? Frame looked to be good, as did equipment, and disk brakes and lockout seemed good additions too?

What are the alternatives I should be looking at? I started looking for Dr. Dew but got switched onto Norco.

I own a Norco XFR 1 2014 model. I love my bike and ride it almost 8 months of the year except when there is snow on the ground. I ride to my gym which is about 4 km, and then do 2km of off road biking, and ride back to my house for another 4 km, about 3 times a week. So about 30KM a week.

Firstly, this bike is a really lite bike. I have a two and a half feet high barrier I have to lift my bike over every time I have to take the bike out of my house, and I never have a problem lifting this bike over that barrier. My guesstimate is that this bike weighs under 20 pounds.

One feature I love on this is that when I am riding on roads I lock the front shock absorbers so the power is smoothly transmitted to the bike, and off road I engage them so the bumps are easy on my hands.

Both brakes are hydraulic disk brakes and have a fantastic feel to them.

The tires on this are high end Schwalbe all season tires and have stood me in good stead in rain and sun, and on the road and offroad. http://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/hurricane.html

The X5 SRAM shifters on the front and back are crisp and have a lovely feel to them. https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/x5.

You can get literature on the bike here: http://www.norco.com/bikes/city/crossover/xfr/

Highly recommend this bike to people who are mostly looking to do all weather road biking with short off road capability.

And did I mention this bike looks really nice. It is a shiny dark grey with a few dark blue accents.