Nordlicht dynamos are shite

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tosspot, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    Tags:

  2. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Tosspot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they stop
    > working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the battery
    > backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure, checking
    > the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    All together now : Hub dynamo!

    cheers,
    clive

  3. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Tosspot wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    > stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    > battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    > checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    good advertising though
    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    for hubdynamo's ;)
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  4. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Tosspot wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    > stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    > battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    > checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    put one of the steel rollers on them (£1.25)

    --
    "You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

  5. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    Pete Whelan wrote:
    > Tosspot wrote:
    >

    >> I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    >> stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on
    >> the battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the
    >> pressure, checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works,
    >> they are crap.

    > put one of the steel rollers on them (£1.25)

    I looked at those and I will give them a go, but I dont hold out much
    hope. What the hell, they're cheap enough to try.

  6. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    M-gineering wrote:
    > Tosspot wrote:
    >

    >> I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    >> stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on
    >> the battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the
    >> pressure, checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works,
    >> they are crap.

    > good advertising though

    <snip>

    I'm making a list of people like you[1], next time I get caught in the
    dark, in the rain, with no lights, I *will* be going postal, stark naked
    with a Samurai sword and you *will* be wondering where you were on that
    list! <sulks off muttering> Bloody bloody hub dynamo users.

    [1] That includes 'im up there --^

  7. Axa bottle dynamo no prob in rain. Steel roller. Very bright back light
    "Seculite Plus" which stays on for 5 mins or so when you stop. Axa
    front light not brilliant but just bright enough for full speed ahead.

    cheers
    Jacob

  8. daren

    daren Guest

    Tosspot wrote:
    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    > stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    > battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    > checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    I run mine on the rim not the tyre. Yes it slips sometimes but a quick
    dab on the brake usually clears it. I think one of the rollers is not
    original but can't recall. Alignment is close and absolutely radial to
    the hub. In a heavy downpour I found the slipping unacceptable but not
    in sleet.

    Of course a hub dynamo would be nicer, but that would require three as
    I have 700c, 559 and 349 wheels :-(

    regards,
    daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply

  9. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Axa bottle dynamo no prob in rain. Steel roller. Very bright back light
    > "Seculite Plus" which stays on for 5 mins or so when you stop. Axa
    > front light not brilliant but just bright enough for full speed ahead.

    Hmmmm...I swapped the Axa for the Nordschit. Maybe I should go back.

  10. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    daren wrote:
    > Tosspot wrote:
    >
    >>I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    >>stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    >>battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    >>checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    > I run mine on the rim not the tyre. Yes it slips sometimes but a quick
    > dab on the brake usually clears it.

    Yes, but its got bloody disc brakes!

    > Of course a hub dynamo would be nicer, but that would require three as
    > I have 700c, 559 and 349 wheels :-(

    <adds Daren to top of aforementioned list>

  11. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Whatever happened to Miller dynamos? I remember mine being very
    satisfactory. British too.

    "Tosspot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > daren wrote:
    >> Tosspot wrote:>>
    >>>I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    >>>stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    >>>battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    >>>checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are
    >>>crap.

    >> I run mine on the rim not the tyre. Yes it slips sometimes but a quick
    >> dab on the brake usually clears it.

    > Yes, but its got bloody disc brakes!
    >
    >> Of course a hub dynamo would be nicer, but that would require three as
    >> I have 700c, 559 and 349 wheels :-(

    > <adds Daren to top of aforementioned list>

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Charlie
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Whatever happened to Miller dynamos? I remember mine being very
    > satisfactory. British too.

    ^^^^^^^

    There's your answer. Saint Maggie decided years ago we were better off
    without a manufacturing industry.

    ---===***<<< This space to let! >>>***===---
    Yes! You, too, can SPAM in the Famous Brooke Rotating .sig!
    ---===***<<< Only $300 per line >>>***===---

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > There's your answer. Saint Maggie decided years ago we were better off
    > without a manufacturing industry.

    ITYM British consumers decided we were better off without a
    manufacturing industry. No-one ever forced anybody to buy a Toyota or
    Sony over a Rover or Amstrad to name but two examples.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Tosspot
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    > stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    > battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    > checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    I haven't had any prombles with my Lightspins thus far, though they have
    yet to encounter /really/ filthy conditions.

    Nicht in die laufende Trommel greifen.

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Tosspot
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > I'm sorry, but they are. The first hint of moisture in the air they
    > stop working. In this case snow. Yet another ride home relying on the
    > battery backup rear and no front. I've tried increasing the pressure,
    > checking the alignment, sacrificing chickens, nothing works, they are crap.

    I haven't had any prombles with my Lightspins thus far, though they have
    yet to encounter /really/ filthy conditions.

    Nicht in die laufende Trommel greifen.

  16. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Whatever happened to Miller dynamos? I remember mine being very
    > satisfactory. British too.

    I had one. It was shit. The contemporary cheapo union ones were far better.

    cheers,
    clive

  17. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Whatever happened to Miller dynamos? I remember mine being very
    > satisfactory. British too.

    I had one. It was shit. The contemporary cheapo union ones were far better.

    cheers,
    clive

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:

    > Plan B: lock the dynohub in second (direct drive), and move an
    > unbutchered Rohloff into a G-Boxx type system after extensive
    > surgery to the frame.....
    > Maybe building a stub axle front dynamo would be easier after all.

    And Plan A means I could put one on the 8 Freight. Though of course
    then I'd have to have a bit of a think about the brakes. Bah!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK