Norfolk Evening News

T

Tony Raven

After Helen's news alert I thought I'd pen a short letter and it seems they are going to publish it.
Better not show my face round Norfolk for a while - wouldn't stand a chance with the Police, CPS and
Courts there if I were to transgress ;-)

Tony

> Dear Sir
>
> While not wishing to comment on the "speeding cyclists" in your article I do find it worrying that
> the Norfolk Casualty Reduction Partnership is uninformed about basic traffic law, comprising as it
> does Norfolk County Council Planning & Transportation Department, Norfolk Constabulary, Norfolk
> Magistrates Court, The Highways Agency and Crown Prosecution Service (Norfolk Branch). Mr Bryan
> Edwards on behalf of the Partnership says of cycling faster than the speed limit: "It is a
> motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act"
>
> If Mr Edwards would care to peruse the laws on speeding he will find they apply only to motor
> vehicles. So while the police may be able to bring charges of "dangerous cycling" or "cycling
> furiously" they will have a hard time making a charge of exceeding the speed limit on a bicycle
> stick under the Road Traffic or any other Act
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Tony Raven

>After Helen's news alert I thought I'd pen a short letter and it seems they are going to publish
>it. Better not show my face round Norfolk for a while - wouldn't stand a chance with the Police,
>CPS and Courts there if I were to transgress ;-)
>

well done you!

cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

Hmmm....

Well reasoned, brief, yet containing all the relevant points. Hasn't a hope of getting published :-/
Where's all the "I'm incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc." that seem to be a prerequisite to
getting a letter published these days? Or at least that's how it seems going by what you often read,
but perhaps that's just the overall quality of the contributions. If so, you've raised the tone
quite a bit Tony ;-)

Graeme

Nicely put.

Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints. (dream on!)
Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.

Niv.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:34:07 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hmmm....
>
>Well reasoned, brief, yet containing all the relevant points. Hasn't a hope of getting published
>:-/ Where's all the "I'm incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc." that seem to be a prerequisite
>to getting a letter published these days? Or at least that's how it seems going by what you often
>read, but perhaps that's just the overall quality of the contributions. If so, you've raised the
>tone quite a bit Tony ;-)

Hi Graeme

As a DM reader I should probably be incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc. However, I'm not.

FWIW, at first, I read the final word as Tory rather than Tony. So be
it.

James

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:38:25 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints. (dream on!)

>Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.

Niv

Think "downhill". Having said that, you have spoiled it all by mentioning Norfolk.

Helen's referrences to those East Anglian hills should be taken with large pinches of salt.

James

> >Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints.
> >(dream on!)
>
> >Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.
>
> Niv
>
> Think "downhill". Having said that, you have spoiled it all by mentioning Norfolk.
>
> Helen's referrences to those East Anglian hills should be taken with large pinches of salt.
>
> James

Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.

Mind you, I live at the top of a dead end hill, 1 in 7 & a 60m/200ft climb at the end of every ride!
Oh why oh why did I move up here?

Niv.

"Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>typed

> Mind you, I live at the top of a dead end hill, 1 in 7 & a 60m/200ft climb at the end of every
> ride! Oh why oh why did I move up here?

For the view. Next!

Helen - over the hill and round the bend...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:54:05 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
>wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.

Wednesday evening ride country :)

Which is it to be tonight, lads? ******* hill, utter ******* hill or complete monster ******* hill?

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you
know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:54:05 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message <vsC_b.2592$Vv.2150@newsfe2-
> gui.server.ntli.net>:
>
>>Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
>>wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.
>
> Wednesday evening ride country :)
>
> Which is it to be tonight, lads? ******* hill, utter ******* hill or complete monster
> ******* hill?

Complete monster ******* hill?

In the Chilterns?

Wus.

Simon, can go up 300 metres within three kilometres of his front door.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ /-\ You have discovered a
security flaw in a Microsoft product. You can
|-| report this issue to our security tesm. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:52:19 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Wednesday evening ride country :)
>
>Which is it to be tonight, lads? ******* hill, utter ******* hill or complete monster ******* hill?

My vote would go the the downhill.

James