Norfolk Evening News

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    After Helen's news alert I thought I'd pen a short letter and it seems they are going to publish it.
    Better not show my face round Norfolk for a while - wouldn't stand a chance with the Police, CPS and
    Courts there if I were to transgress ;-)

    Tony

    > Dear Sir
    >
    > While not wishing to comment on the "speeding cyclists" in your article I do find it worrying that
    > the Norfolk Casualty Reduction Partnership is uninformed about basic traffic law, comprising as it
    > does Norfolk County Council Planning & Transportation Department, Norfolk Constabulary, Norfolk
    > Magistrates Court, The Highways Agency and Crown Prosecution Service (Norfolk Branch). Mr Bryan
    > Edwards on behalf of the Partnership says of cycling faster than the speed limit: "It is a
    > motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act"
    >
    > If Mr Edwards would care to peruse the laws on speeding he will find they apply only to motor
    > vehicles. So while the police may be able to bring charges of "dangerous cycling" or "cycling
    > furiously" they will have a hard time making a charge of exceeding the speed limit on a bicycle
    > stick under the Road Traffic or any other Act
    >
    > Yours sincerely
    >
    > Tony Raven

    Tags:

  2. >After Helen's news alert I thought I'd pen a short letter and it seems they are going to publish
    >it. Better not show my face round Norfolk for a while - wouldn't stand a chance with the Police,
    >CPS and Courts there if I were to transgress ;-)

    well done you!

    cheers, helen s

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Hmmm....

    Well reasoned, brief, yet containing all the relevant points. Hasn't a hope of getting published :-/
    Where's all the "I'm incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc." that seem to be a prerequisite to
    getting a letter published these days? Or at least that's how it seems going by what you often read,
    but perhaps that's just the overall quality of the contributions. If so, you've raised the tone
    quite a bit Tony ;-)

    Graeme

  4. Niv

    Niv Guest

    Nicely put.

    Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints. (dream on!)
    Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.

    Niv.

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:34:07 GMT, Graeme
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hmmm....
    >
    >Well reasoned, brief, yet containing all the relevant points. Hasn't a hope of getting published
    >:-/ Where's all the "I'm incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc." that seem to be a prerequisite
    >to getting a letter published these days? Or at least that's how it seems going by what you often
    >read, but perhaps that's just the overall quality of the contributions. If so, you've raised the
    >tone quite a bit Tony ;-)

    Hi Graeme

    As a DM reader I should probably be incensed/outraged/totally dumbfounded/etc. However, I'm not.

    FWIW, at first, I read the final word as Tory rather than Tony. So be
    it.

    James

  6. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:38:25 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints. (dream on!)

    >Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.

    Niv

    Think "downhill". Having said that, you have spoiled it all by mentioning Norfolk.

    Helen's referrences to those East Anglian hills should be taken with large pinches of salt.

    James

  7. Niv

    Niv Guest

    > >Now, as soon as my shoulder's better, I'm in training to get up to 40mph short sprints.
    > >(dream on!)
    >
    > >Then a brief trip to Norfolk to use up all the speedcam film.
    >
    > Niv
    >
    > Think "downhill". Having said that, you have spoiled it all by mentioning Norfolk.
    >
    > Helen's referrences to those East Anglian hills should be taken with large pinches of salt.
    >
    > James

    Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
    wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.

    Mind you, I live at the top of a dead end hill, 1 in 7 & a 60m/200ft climb at the end of every ride!
    Oh why oh why did I move up here?

    Niv.

  8. "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>typed

    > Mind you, I live at the top of a dead end hill, 1 in 7 & a 60m/200ft climb at the end of every
    > ride! Oh why oh why did I move up here?

    For the view. Next!

    Helen - over the hill and round the bend...

  9. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:54:05 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
    >wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.

    Wednesday evening ride country :)

    Which is it to be tonight, lads? Bastard hill, utter bastard hill or complete monster bastard hill?

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you
    know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:54:05 -0000, "Niv" <niv*SPAMOFF*@ntlworld.com> wrote in message <[email protected]
    > gui.server.ntli.net>:
    >
    >>Yes, I live in the Chilterns; not exactly alpine length climbs, but they are quite steep on the
    >>wrong side of the escarpment, long(ish) & gentle the other side.
    >
    > Wednesday evening ride country :)
    >
    > Which is it to be tonight, lads? Bastard hill, utter bastard hill or complete monster
    > bastard hill?

    Complete monster bastard hill?

    In the Chilterns?

    Wus.

    Simon, can go up 300 metres within three kilometres of his front door.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ /-\ You have discovered a
    security flaw in a Microsoft product. You can
    | | * Be completely ignored (default)
    | | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care
    \_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:52:19 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wednesday evening ride country :)
    >
    >Which is it to be tonight, lads? Bastard hill, utter bastard hill or complete monster bastard hill?

    My vote would go the the downhill.

    James

  12. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Complete monster bastard hill?

    Short, but steep.

    --