normal fitness loss over winter?

lpennock

May 27, 2004
Hi, I signed myself up for a two day 180 mile ride from Houston to Austin that takes place in mid April, so I figured I had better get back on my bike and start my training ASAP. To try and gauge where I am, I did my usual 25 mile ride which includes a good mix of terrain including several good hills (belle meade area for anyone familiar with Nashville). Back when I was training for a similar fall ride I usually averaged 17 to 17.5mph on this ride, and i could hit 18 if i really killed myself. Today I did the same ride with a 15.6 mph average and i was pushing myself fairly hard.

This is really only my second season of serious road riding, so I was wondering, what is a typical fitness loss over the winter, assuming you only got on the bike once every couple of weeks over the winter, maybe mountain biked a couple of times, and even then weren't really pushing it that hard? I was actually surprised at how little it did hurt and how good I felt, at least compared to this time last year, but then again April is coming up fast. Perhaps training for that ride last October has carried over some. Also, is this even a good way to gauge progress?

Thanks,

-Lewis

lpennock said:
Hi, I signed myself up for a two day 180 mile ride from Houston to Austin that takes place in mid April, so I figured I had better get back on my bike and start my training ASAP. To try and gauge where I am, I did my usual 25 mile ride which includes a good mix of terrain including several good hills (belle meade area for anyone familiar with Nashville). Back when I was training for a similar fall ride I usually averaged 17 to 17.5mph on this ride, and i could hit 18 if i really killed myself. Today I did the same ride with a 15.6 mph average and i was pushing myself fairly hard.

This is really only my second season of serious road riding, so I was wondering, what is a typical fitness loss over the winter, assuming you only got on the bike once every couple of weeks over the winter, maybe mountain biked a couple of times, and even then weren't really pushing it that hard? I was actually surprised at how little it did hurt and how good I felt, at least compared to this time last year, but then again April is coming up fast. Perhaps training for that ride last October has carried over some. Also, is this even a good way to gauge progress?

Thanks,

-Lewis

I doubt you lost any fitness over the winter since it sounds like you weren't really riding much to begin with. Riding one 25 mile course every couple of weeks is practically the same thing as doing nothing, so if you did ride alot in the summer and rode so little in the winter, the fitness loss would be enormous. However, I ride 5-6 days a week and cover about 200 miles a week. I also race. Your fitness loss compared to mine would probably be alot less.

memphiscyclist said:
I doubt you lost any fitness over the winter since it sounds like you weren't really riding much to begin with. Riding one 25 mile course every couple of weeks is practically the same thing as doing nothing, so if you did ride alot in the summer and rode so little in the winter, the fitness loss would be enormous. However, I ride 5-6 days a week and cover about 200 miles a week. I also race. Your fitness loss compared to mine would probably be alot less.

well, to train for that MS ride in october I was riding 20-30 miles 3 or 4 times during the week in the summer and fall with a 50 or 60 mile ride on most weekends, i just meant that over the winter i wasn't riding as much. but no, i am not a racer and am in no way even close to that level of fitness. for the MS ride I kept an average speed of almost 17mph over 160 miles in two days, which isn't what i can do at peak form (i peaked in mid summer), but still clearly not at a competitive level either.

Based on what you say, I wouldn't worry about the fitness loss issue. It sounds like you were and still are fairly fit. I think this is a good time to start gearing up because the weather is improving and the light lasts longer. If you are shooting for Mid-April, you've got almost two months. Try to get out for 60-90 mins 3-4 times a week and establish a good base without setting any speed records. Then you should be fine for the trip, and have a good foundation for harder training come May.