normal practice on the “test ride” in a LBS?

piero

Apr 17, 2006
I am wondering what is the normal practice on the “test ride” in a LBS? :confused:

I was trying to arrange a test ride with a LBS in neutral bay Sydney. But I was requested to put in $250 deposit on the bike before I can go for a test ride on the bike.

I was communicating with the store via email and the following is some extract from the store respond.

LBS: “Once you have decided upon the model and paid a deposit, we size you up and let you trial the model required in your correct size.”

I ask: Can I get back the $250 if the bike doesn’t fit me, or doesn’t fit my needs.

LBS: “you are welcome to transfer your $250 deposit on any bike/model until you find the correct fit, the program works very well”

This gave me an impression is if I want to test ride on a bike, I have to pay $250 deposit, before I can jump on for a ride. And I can’t get back the $250 and have to use on another bike or something else in the store. Basically the purchasing decision has to be made before I can try the bike. In fact the $250 is a commitment on purchasing a bike with this LBS if I wanna test ride on a bike in store.

Is this a usual practice in the LBS in Australia? Or is that some kinda unfair dodgy trick?

It is just like someone tells me I walk into a car dealer, I have to put a deposit on a car before I can test drive it. Pretty much the same as telling me I have to buy the bike base on the look, or pushing it within the store if I choose not the test ride on it. Man, I am talking about buying a racing machine …. Not totally make sense to me. :(

Btw, I was planning to test ride on the Cervelo Soloist Team.

Issue is the LBS doesn’t carry my 2nd preference, SCOTT CR1, otherwise I am happy to put in the $250 deposit as I am definitely going to get either one of these bikes.

Let your money do the walking, and make sure that the shop knows why they lost the sale.

I'd be happy enough to leave a security deposit, refundable on the safe return of the bike....but a non refundable deposit only good against a purchase is another matter. I've test ridden many high end bikes with bike shop employees along for the ride, left drivers licence & car keys, but I've never heard of a non refundable deposit....look elsewhere

The store where I work, we hold onto the drivers lic. and credit card to ensure the safe return of the bike. That's where your obligation ends. If you buy the bike, thats nice, if not, you can come back, as many customers do. We get a lot of sales of be-backs, and a good reputation in the process. It makes sense, if your uneasy, you won't come back and you will tell other people of your experience. Cheers.

artemidorus said:
Let 'em know that their behaviour had a bit of an airing on an Aussie bike forum, too.
Thanks for all the responds.

After I expressed my concern about the non-refundable $250 deposit and they (the LBS) didn’t stock any other brand that I am interested beside Cervelo.

The latest respond from the LBS,

LBS:

"We just got in a brand new '08 LeMond full carbon frameset in a 57cm called a "Versailes" normal RRP $2595 that you can have for $1500
http://www.lemondbikes.com/bikes/road_racing/triomphe_carbon/versailles.php
Could be a great option!”

Seriously I am not sure about the LeMond bike. But so far as I can tell it is quite difference from my targeted bikes.

But one thing is proved, if I paid the $250 deposit to test ride a bike in that LBS, that means “I have to” buy the bike if I doesn’t feel good after the test ride. Or spend the $250 on something else in store.

I mean the LBS is pretty good at responding email in a timely manner. But the Non-refundable $250 Test Ride police really makes me feel hesitate on testing out the Cervelo Soloist Team with them.

But I don’t reckon other stores carrying Cervelo in Sydney, at least not from any LBS that I’ve known. Seems like if I want the Soloist Team, I have to take my chance with this LBS >.<

From the internet reviews, it “sounds like” exactly what I need. But it really can’t tell before the test ride. Geez … really not so sure what should I do now.

artemidorus said:
Cheeky Monkey at Centennial Park always have Cervelo bikes in there when I visit.
O!!! thanks mate!

I will definitely give them a call today, but the price on the internet is like $400 expensive than the LBS who charged the $250.

any other LBS you can think of?

artemidorus said:
Cheeky Monkey at Centennial Park always have Cervelo bikes in there when I visit.
btw, if Cheeky Monkey can match the price, the LBS in Neutral Bay will be off my list forever :D

Sounds to me like a scam
...if it looks like a duck...

piero said:
I am wondering what is the normal practice on the “test ride” in a LBS? :confused:

I was trying to arrange a test ride with a LBS in neutral bay Sydney. But I was requested to put in $250 deposit on the bike before I can go for a test ride on the bike.

I was communicating with the store via email and the following is some extract from the store respond.

LBS: “Once you have decided upon the model and paid a deposit, we size you up and let you trial the model required in your correct size.”

I ask: Can I get back the $250 if the bike doesn’t fit me, or doesn’t fit my needs.

LBS: “you are welcome to transfer your $250 deposit on any bike/model until you find the correct fit, the program works very well”

This gave me an impression is if I want to test ride on a bike, I have to pay $250 deposit, before I can jump on for a ride. And I can’t get back the $250 and have to use on another bike or something else in the store. Basically the purchasing decision has to be made before I can try the bike. In fact the $250 is a commitment on purchasing a bike with this LBS if I wanna test ride on a bike in store.

Is this a usual practice in the LBS in Australia? Or is that some kinda unfair dodgy trick?

It is just like someone tells me I walk into a car dealer, I have to put a deposit on a car before I can test drive it. Pretty much the same as telling me I have to buy the bike base on the look, or pushing it within the store if I choose not the test ride on it. Man, I am talking about buying a racing machine …. Not totally make sense to me. :(

Btw, I was planning to test ride on the Cervelo Soloist Team.

Issue is the LBS doesn’t carry my 2nd preference, SCOTT CR1, otherwise I am happy to put in the $250 deposit as I am definitely going to get either one of these bikes.

scotty72 said:
Sounds to me like a scam
...if it looks like a duck...
:D Just confirmed Cheeky Monkey is doing the same price ...

hehehhee, the LBS in Neutral Bay is off my shopping list from now on ...

I guess a honest seller who are willing to help their potential customer can get the business. Maybe not straight after the test ride, but at least I am 100% certain that I will buy from Cheeky Monkey. Chat with the owner of the store and he is so nice on providing me all advices!! :D Thank Oliver.

and for those LBS who don't care about their potential customer, they lost their customer even before I walk into their store. Money walked away from their doorstep now :p

Thanks for everyone's contribution in this post ;)

I'm sure they've probably lost more because of your post. If I were close enough, it would be an exercise in making the point to make the enquiry, then back out - "You mean if I test ride one of your bikes, I'm required to buy one? That sux man, I'm outa here. " Not good. People who operate like that deserve to get spanked.

From what you've said, I thing I know the store you're talking about and the owner. This is the second horror story I've heard about him this week, VERY disappointing :mad: Those of us who supported him when he opened, gee it seems like just last week, are pretty ****** right now. Small community at the top end, we have to have something to talk about on long rides, remember that.

886014 said:
From what you've said, I thing I know the store you're talking about and the owner. This is the second horror story I've heard about him this week, VERY disappointing :mad: Those of us who supported him when he opened, gee it seems like just last week, are pretty ****** right now. Small community at the top end, we have to have something to talk about on long rides, remember that.
Seriously, I am buying a few items from this story when it first opened up back then.

But can’t imagine things was changed in about a year time …

Anyway, I don’t have any intention to spank this LBS on the web, but I guess it will be good to let people know about how this LBS operate.

And this is the reason why I just quote exactly what he responded me on the email and let everyone judge on this.

Hehehee, and you said, I guess the owner forgot it is a small community at the top end. What we can chat about in the long ride …. :p

Anyway, support the good LBS who really care about us, but not for those who just wanna make a one off sale :)

btw, what is the second incident you've heard about this LBS? hehehee, just my curiosity.