normal price in US for prescription goggles

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Madelaine, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
    prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
    price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones the
    first time. Madelaine

    Tags:

  2. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:23:11 -0400, Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
    >prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
    >price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones
    >the first time. Madelaine

    I'm fairly blind and odered the generic prescrip ones off of Kiefer's site for $18.95. I got
    the diopter info from my last eye oppointment and used that to order. Even with a light stig
    adn one eye slightly differnet from teh other they worked fine. I can see well enough to get
    out of the water run a 1/8 mile or so and pic my bike out in a sea of other bikes.

    ~Matt

  3. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    I think $80 is way too much to spend on a pair of swim goggles!

    I'll second the recommendation for Kiefer's goggles. They are sold in strengths up to -8 or -9, and
    given that you'll only wear them for a relatively short time, I don't think you need to be so
    concerned about getting the EXACT prescription as you do with glasses that you'd wear all day. I've
    found the Kiefer goggles to be an excellent value; good quality and good range of vision at a very
    reasonable price.

    -Shannon

    Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
    > prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
    > price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones
    > the first time. Madelaine

  4. Sarge

    Sarge Guest

    [email protected] (Shannon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I think $80 is way too much to spend on a pair of swim goggles!
    >
    > I'll second the recommendation for Kiefer's goggles. They are sold in strengths up to -8 or -9,
    > and given that you'll only wear them for a relatively short time, I don't think you need to be so
    > concerned about getting the EXACT prescription as you do with glasses that you'd wear all day.
    > I've found the Kiefer goggles to be an excellent value; good quality and good range of vision at a
    > very reasonable price.
    >
    > -Shannon
    >
    > Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20
    > > (for prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a
    > > normal price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the
    > > internet ones the first time. Madelaine

    I'll third the Kiefer goggles. I'm pretty much blind too (diopter of abou -9.5) and I've been using
    Kiefer goggles for years. I buy 'em 2 or 3 pairs at a time. I've found that one pair last several
    months before getting all scratched up (I'm not all that careful about them), and having a couple
    extra pair around saves anxst in case I lose one pair. As for prescription lens from the
    optometrist, I did that once with a pair of high-end goggles and actual prescription. Cost about
    $100 and the vision really was not very good (had to do with the placement of the prescription lens
    inside the goggles). I would never go that route again.

    Sean C

  5. Beeswich

    Beeswich Guest

    My optometrist charges nealy $100 for script goggles. No way I will pay that for goggles. His
    daughter swims on an age group club and he knows that I coach the local boys varsity team, so he
    has asked me about getting a pair. I told him that I can get a pair of script goggles from the
    catalog for only about $20. He pointed out that my perscription was very strong in my right eye(-9)
    as compared to my left eye(-5). The answer was easy, I told him that I could buy two pair of
    goggles each of a different perscription and switch the eyepieces. That would give me two pair of
    goggles for around $40 and they would be to my exact perscription. Needless to say he was not happy
    about that.