normal price in US for prescription goggles

Madelaine

Guest
My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones the
first time. Madelaine

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:23:11 -0400, Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote:

>My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
>prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
>price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones
>the first time. Madelaine

I'm fairly blind and odered the generic prescrip ones off of Kiefer's site for $18.95. I got
the diopter info from my last eye oppointment and used that to order. Even with a light stig
adn one eye slightly differnet from teh other they worked fine. I can see well enough to get
out of the water run a 1/8 mile or so and pic my bike out in a sea of other bikes.

~Matt

I think $80 is way too much to spend on a pair of swim goggles!

I'll second the recommendation for Kiefer's goggles. They are sold in strengths up to -8 or -9, and
given that you'll only wear them for a relatively short time, I don't think you need to be so
concerned about getting the EXACT prescription as you do with glasses that you'd wear all day. I've
found the Kiefer goggles to be an excellent value; good quality and good range of vision at a very
reasonable price.

-Shannon

Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20 (for
> prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a normal
> price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the internet ones
> the first time. Madelaine

[email protected] (Shannon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I think $80 is way too much to spend on a pair of swim goggles!
>
> I'll second the recommendation for Kiefer's goggles. They are sold in strengths up to -8 or -9,
> and given that you'll only wear them for a relatively short time, I don't think you need to be so
> concerned about getting the EXACT prescription as you do with glasses that you'd wear all day.
> I've found the Kiefer goggles to be an excellent value; good quality and good range of vision at a
> very reasonable price.
>
> -Shannon
>
> Madelaine <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > My optometrist's office is charging $80 for them, and I've seen them on the internet for $20
> > (for prescription googles, but you have to figure out your power from your script). Is the $80 a
> > normal price? Since I have a high prescription AND astigmatism, I'm hesitant to order the
> > internet ones the first time. Madelaine

I'll third the Kiefer goggles. I'm pretty much blind too (diopter of abou -9.5) and I've been using
Kiefer goggles for years. I buy 'em 2 or 3 pairs at a time. I've found that one pair last several
months before getting all scratched up (I'm not all that careful about them), and having a couple
extra pair around saves anxst in case I lose one pair. As for prescription lens from the
optometrist, I did that once with a pair of high-end goggles and actual prescription. Cost about
$100 and the vision really was not very good (had to do with the placement of the prescription lens
inside the goggles). I would never go that route again.

Sean C

My optometrist charges nealy $100 for script goggles. No way I will pay that for goggles. His
daughter swims on an age group club and he knows that I coach the local boys varsity team, so he
has asked me about getting a pair. I told him that I can get a pair of script goggles from the
catalog for only about $20. He pointed out that my perscription was very strong in my right eye(-9)
as compared to my left eye(-5). The answer was easy, I told him that I could buy two pair of
goggles each of a different perscription and switch the eyepieces. That would give me two pair of
goggles for around $40 and they would be to my exact perscription. Needless to say he was not happy
about that.